icon

mixing sub sizes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mross014 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
I have two 10" Titaniums. If I want to add two more subs to the system, do they have to be identical in size or can I add two 12" or 15" size subs.
LivnLouder by the paycheck
zargon 
Copper - Posts: 186
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
as far as sound quality goes you can mix your subs as you would like, but there are other factors, such as the amp load, if all four subs are connected to one amp the more effecient ones will receive more power which could be a problem depending on the style of box they are in and the car, also looks wise we try to stay uniform with our equipment .
zargon ruler of estranorth
mross014 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

If I hook up a 10" and a 12" on one channel and repeat on the other channel, that would be balanced, right?

LivnLouder by the paycheck
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
Its usually not a good idea to do that.  Maybe have some 8 inchers for front and the 10's-12's in the back.   The different sizes will cancel the frequency of the others.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
I would suggest buying a seperate amp for the smaller subs, preferably the same brand as your other amp.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

Never, ever, ever mix driver sizes except for this way or unless you have the necessary background to do it right. Some people will say that you can do it just fine and see I have done it myself and it works great.......until 4 months from now (looked into my crystal ball). If you are going to mix driver sizes this will lead to cancellation, it will lead to unbalancing an amp, it will lead to headaches. What needs to be done is the range of frequencies restricted to each type of driver, this means that a lowpass crossover would operate on the largest subs and be crossed over at say 70hz. Next the 10" subs would take over from 70hz - 120hz, thus a bandpass crossover is needed + a second amp, next a hp crossover to power the balance of the front and rear speakers. A 10" sub can play the same low frequencies that a 15" sub can, it just cannot play them with the same authority. Thus the subs will be playing overlapping frequencies. This will lead to the smaller drivers usually seeing all sorts of distortion caused by a clipping amp because you are trying to get as much bottom end as you can and the larger drivers will be overpowering and masking the distorted output of the smaller drivers.

If you are trying to get loud, multiple small drivers is a great way to do this. With the doubling of surface area it will definitely play louder and with much more authority on the lower bass notes. Your best bet is to add another set of the same subs with the proper box and proper amp.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
One way to run different sized subs off the same amp and realize the most benefit is to use a passive crossover and divide the sub band between the speaker sets.  For example, use a set of 15's and low-pass them at 50Hz, and run the 10's with a bandpass filter between 50 Hz and, say, 100Hz.  This way, you'll achieve the maximum benefit from the capabilities of both speaker sizes without having to worry about one overpowering or interfering with the other.  And your amp will only have to drive one set at a time, which will make it much "happier" too.
Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
Looks like Rob and I are once again on the same page and posting at the same time!  mixing sub sizes -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
I was just going to go back and edit the post to mention the passive crossovers and then saw that you had already added the info, thanks dude.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  

my opinion is right in there with Dyohn's, and forbidden's. (sry didn't mean anything by the order i put them in. hahamixing sub sizes -- posted image.)

Quad L Handyman services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic