icon

Paint help!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, Im working on fiberglassin my dashboard. I'll get some pics up soon. I was reading a lot on the painting and I had a couple questions. If I dont have an air compressor and spray gun, and end up using an aerosol spray, which is best, and will I still be able to get a professional look? Ive heard about krylon fusion paint, and it seems ok but Ive seen some krylong stuff done and it hardly looks professional. I want that super glossy look to it. Any tips on getting a professional look without all those professional tools?

dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
if the paint with the spray can runs, you can wet sand it down so that it looks better, but usually if you want professional look your gonna have to do it the same way as the professional
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
ranger's right. Its possible to get a really good looking finish with aerosol paint, I use it all the time for panels and pieces, but for something thats been fiberglassed like a speaker pod or box its probably best to invest in a professional style compressor and spray gun or find someone with one or pay a professional to do it.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2004 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
one way you can do it is to go to your local paint store and see if they can load the color you want into an aresol can, this will give you the exact color, but a lot of times it gives the paint a little bit of a texture when you spray it.
just go around to a few bodyshops and ask what the labor is to paint it. you can always get the paint materials you will need.
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2004 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
you can use an aerosol can, but put way too much on.... then you have extra so you can wetsand, polish, and buff.    I have done a black fender before with aerosol. As long as the finishing steps are followed, you should be able to provide a showroom finish everytime.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2004 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
You can get the professional look with TESTORS model paint spray paint cans. You can get them at your local hobby shop. They have tons of colors and a clear coat. I showed my box to a local audio store that does a lot of custom work with fiberglass and they asked where i got it painted. Hope that helps.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic