icon

are spl subs any good?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skylark 
Copper - Posts: 191
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2004 at 4:24 AM / IP Logged  
im looking at the spl subwoofer with the 130 ounce mag. 12 dvc. they supposed to be able to handle 1200 watts peak. now i doupt that but are they a better brand then all the phym, lanzar,legacy junk?
goingcrazyonsound
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2004 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
SPL is another of the midlevel subs, personally I like their amps, I have one sitting around that is rated at like 200x2 but this thing was pushing 4 Rockford 10's like there was no tomarrow. As for their subs, I've seen one of their 10" DVC subs and I would say the could probably hold their own in a competition. So they're nothing spectacular but they are not pyramid, lanzar, legacy knockoff crap.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2004 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
as xtreamcc stated, i think their amps are better than their subs. I would rate these subs as a 6/10. Their name is a little misleading.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2004 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
I'm pretty sure SPL is a brand made by Power Acoustik (or is Power Acoustik) and most of Power Acoustik's stuff is a cheap knock off of other brands. Take a look at their website and you will find most of their products are the exact same as other brands except maybe power acoustik maybe used a different cone or other material for the tweeter (like Kenwood, Sony, Kicker). I agree with djMINloompa about their subs, they are about 6/10 except I wouldn't really use them for a sound quality system but maybe for SPL (like the name states).  
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2004 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
What i ment by their name is missleading, is that the arnt SPL and they arnt SQ. they are just sorta "there". They dont shine in either category. But the name SPL makes them sound surpiorer in the SPL caregory which is a joke. customsuburb is rite on the money by saying that they do rip off other brands, and they dont do that good of a job doing that either.
skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2004 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
okay the subs that im talking about are the spl ml-12w subs with 160 oz mag 600 rms 1200 peak. the woofer is made out of aluminum. there is no spl on the face so i think they are this years model.
goingcrazyonsound
skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2004 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
one more thing now i have four kicker comp vrs that are 400 rms 800 max and each pair is running to a jbl 1200.1 amp. now i already blew two comp vrs so im already down on that brand of kickers subs. now i would order two more and run then off just one jbl 1200 watt amp but the other subs are 2 ohm dvc so the load would be one omn  now if i order four spl 4 ohm dvc subs i can wire them all down to a 2 ohm load and they should be able to take one amp......now rember im looking for spl not sq just loud bass.
goingcrazyonsound
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Those Power Acoustik subs take about half of the power they say they can usually. I would maybe Try some Kove subs on parts express.com if you want SPL, and they arnt very expensive right now either.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic