icon

Thin box questions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chappy 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2004 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  
I am trying to build a box for the cargo space of my grand cherokee. Since I want to use the cargo space for groceries and whatnot still, (its was bought to be a family car) I want to make sure the subs are safe from getting hit or pushed in by random things so I want a bandpass box (besides, bandpass boxes are loud). Enough with the blah blah. I want it to be a thin box. I am going to building a flat box that basically covers the entire floor of the cargo space. My main question is how much space is the minimum I can have between the magnet of the sub to the back of the box? And as long as the volume of the box is enough then it really doesn't matter how deep the box is right? And how far away from the sub should the plexiglass be on the top of the box? That way I can see just how thick the box will be.
Imagination and drive are the keys to greatness.
2000' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2004 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

In general you are right when you say the shape doesn't really matter as long as the airspaces and ports are correct.  So there is no such thing as "minimum" depth, etc. as long as you can achieve the correct air spaces and fit your drivers into the enclosure.  That being said, I can tell you from experience that some shapes just do not work and often when trying to build a highly specialized enclosure like you describe the results are very disapointing.  Expecially with bandpass configurations.  Trying to get a bandpass enclosure to sound right when it is long, wide and flat will be a REAL challenge.  Heck, bandpass enclosures are difficult enough to build and get right using straight rectangles, let alone a strange configuration.  Unless you are a very advanced enclosure technician, you would be better served to not try this.  Bandpass enclosurs when not perfect sound like, well, pure ass.  For a good tutorial, check out www.diysubwoofers.org

You'd probably be much happier with a standard ported (if you want SPL) enclosure along one side of your cargo area - depending on the year of your Cherokee - like where the spare tire goes.

Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2004 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

In my experience 90% of the home-built bandpass boxes I've heard sound like ass.  Port or seal it and feed it proper power and you'll probably be 100x happier!

Besides, it will be so much easier to build a sealed box for what sounds like a tiny location.

kfr

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2004 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
have you considered a long (wide) box to run along the back seats, and using speaker grilles to protect them? that might be your best bet.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
casedeez 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
Another thing you might consider is doing a sealed fiberglass enclosure. Fiberglass may sound daunting at first but if you do your research and take your time you can come out with a pretty tight box that leaves plenty of room and sounds good as a mutha.
Chappy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
I can handle making a fiberglass box. In fact I was going to have to do a lot of glassing on this box to make it fit prefectly and look like a part of the car.. I may just go with sealed and grills, but I want it to look sick and most grills I have seen are ugly. I think I have a few ideas. Maybe make some grills out of plexiglass. I am sticking with my flat box idea though. That way I can fit more subs in the back of the Cherokee.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
well, whatever you decide, if you are going to go with up or downfiring, make sure you have subs that are suitable for that set up. not any sub can be mounted up or down. good luck
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Chappy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
I hadn't thought of facing the subs down. That is a really good idea. But how do I know whether or not the sub will work well in a down-firning box?
Chappy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
I just did some measuring and some thinking. I can only have the box be about 8" tall (or deep, however you wanna look at it) but it will be covering the entire floor space of my cargo area. I am not worried about airspace inside the box,  my problem is if I go with a down firing set-up then I wouldn't have very much room at all between the subs cone and the floor of the jeep. throw in the 3/4 or 1" mdf and its even less space. my idea is to have the subs mounted at an angle. So it would be firing down but at a slight angle. The goal is 4 12's towards the rear of the cargo area and 4 10's closer to the seats. Anyone have any ideas on the angle idea? I think a 45 degree angle would work out, so I am gonna go ahead with it unless someone has done it before and thinks it won't work out. It will create a wedge box, only upside down with the subs angled towards the floor as opposed to up. Lets see if it works. Ideas and thoughts will be a great help and a wonderfull money saver.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
you want to put 8 subs in your jeep and still be able to carry stuff in your "cargo area"? well good luck with the design
Quad L Handyman services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic