icon

4 ga power wire needs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

I have a Power Acoustik F12x-300 I got from a friend because he didn't need it anymore.  I want to replace a Lightning Audio amp with this amp.  From the little information I could  find on this amp, it requires 4 ga. power wire.  Can I connect this with 8 or 10 ga wire or will they not allow enough current to run the PA amp correctly.  Also where can I find more info on this amp.

Thanks  

Harv
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

I don't know the specs on that amp either, but the wire size will need to be as large as the total amps you intend to pull.  That is, if you're speaker setup will pull no more than 400 watts of power, the maximum amperage the amplifier will pull will be about 32, more or less.  That amount requires only a 8 gauge power wire and ground.  So, if you are replacing the Lightning amp and using the very same speaker setup, the wires you now have.should not have to be upgraded, unless you are currently using a 10 gauge.  10 ga. is too small to mess around with.  Post your setup including speaker ohm load on the amp so we can make sure you have correct power.

I would presume the Lightning is no good?  Why the replacement, what happened to the Lightning amp?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Helpme9 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Go with the 8 guage for your power and ground wire. Be sure to use an agu fuse holder with 60a agu fuse or higher. As for your ground go with an 8 guage as well.
The size of your speaker wire should not matter.
This should work.
If your playing your system and you notice your headlights dim when the bass kicks, You'll need a capacitor.
harvey1959 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

No,  The Lightning amp is fine.  I blew the Lightning sub that went with the amp.  It was part of the Fast and Furious 10 in setup.  I just put a Sony XS-L1037 in the Lightning box.  The F and F setup came with the amp wiring kit and I want to use that.  I want to put the Lightning amp on the front channel speakers which are Panasonic CJ-DA1300 and use the Power Acoustik (F12x-300) bridged to power the Sony sub (300rms).  The PA amp is rated at 200 watts@4ohms.  The Lightning amp (FF150.2) is rated at 50 watts@4ohms.  All speakers are 4 ohms.  The front speakers and sub will be amplified.  All three will run off the front channel of a JVC FX12 casette/cd changer.  The rear channel of the radio will run the rear door speakers.  I normally have these faded until barely audible.     So I'll be going from running 1 amp to 2 amps. 

Harv
Helpme9 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
So will you be needing help on installing the second amp?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so you will max about 400 watts total, so 8 gauge will do it.  You can use a simple distro block and send 8 ga. out to each amp.  Google search on that amp is all I can say about finding more info.  One site I looked at showed it having a 300 watt bridged rating, so it must be bridgeable.  Look at the amp to see if it has a low pass crossover for the sub.  Reset gains on both amps...the Sony sub will not be as hard to blow.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
harvey1959 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
No, I don't need help installing the 2nd amp.  I pretty much have that figured out but thanks anyway.  I have a new problem.  I installed the PA amp and it didn't come on.  I checked the fuse by the battery, it is a 25amp fuse and it was blown.  OK, I put another fuse that I had in it.  It was a 20 amp fuse.  The amp didn't come on.  I installed the Lightning amp again.  It came on.  I installed a schoche line out converter also to use rca cable.  Do you set the gains on the line out converter and the amp also or do you leave the amp at a low gain level and just use the gains on the line out converter.  I find right now when the bass hits at half volume on the radio, the amp goes into protection mode.  Before I reset the gains, could this be from the 20 amp fuse at the battery.  Before I had a 25 amp but I won't have another 25 amp until I run to the store to get a pack.  Is protection coming on because the is not enought current coming through the 20 amp fuse to the amp?
Harv
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
What is the size of the fuse in the Power NONAcoustik amp? The fuse up front should be almost as large or larger than the one in the amp. Personally if this guy was your friend he would never have given you this amp. No offence intended either, it was free so whatever. What is the size of the fuse in the FNF amp as well?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
harvey1959 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
No, He's cool, We've installed a lot of stuff together.  The PA amp has a 20 amp fuse and the Lightning has a 25 amp fuse.  I don't think the PA amp works anyway so that takes care of that.  Right now I'm back with my LA amp.  It has a 25 amp fuse in it. I have a 20 amp fuse up front until I get to the store to pick up more.  Will the 20 amp fuse up front cause my Lightning amp to go into protection mode at 1/2 HU volume.  This happens when the bass hits hard.
Harv
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

The amp is running to one sub correct? Is this sub a single 4 ohm sub?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic