icon

What setup is Better?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
insanity44 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,  i was recommended to use this forum to try and get an idea of what would be better.  To start off the setup will be installed in a 1999 Ford F150 Extended cab body (Flareside trim). i was looking at putting the subs under the rear seat after raising the seat 4 inches.  on paper i have a design that will be able to hold 3 10 inch subs or 2 12 inch subs.  the sub of choice is the JL audio w7.  both boxes would be in there recommeneed sealed volume with seprate chambers for each individual sub. The amp hasn't been decided yet. i was going to wait and see what setup i will use then find a amp that will work.  one more thing if it matters.  the 12" subs are desinged to fire down or up (recommendation on that would be good to) and the 10" subs would fire to the front of the cab.  thanks for any suggestions or recommendations for my setup or any new recommendtation to look into for a ford f150.

Bobby

pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
I would go with the three tens, maybe even four if you have room.  They will pound really good, and will probably be easier to work with tens in the smaller area.
insanity44 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for your reply.  i will see if i can sqeez that fourth ten in there. it would be a tight fit.  a question comparing a 10 against a 12.  is there much difference in how low they can hit or the range they can put out.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  

Ive heard many systems with 10s that were very impressive. A freind of mine has two JL 10s in the cab of his Chevy truck, they put out some intense bass. If you put in three or four 10s, in a box built to spec, it should be more than enough bass.  Some of the experts on here should be able to help you out with the box, and more of the technical things.

soccer_aholic 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
I personally love the sound of 10s. plus i think 3 or possibly 4 10s will look better then 2 12s
Soccer_aholicWhat setup is Better? -- posted image.
One_Evil_Necro 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  

While I prefer 12" speakers, I think that you would be very pleased with 10"s.  I just built a box for 3 10s in a similar vehicle as yours and the bass was outrageous.  We used 3 JL 10's and a 700 watt Zapco amp  =/

~Jay

thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
I dont know how much you are looking to spend or whatnot, but i used to have 3 10" MA Audio 100D6 subs, in the back of my saturn. They slam. They like power though. I was giving them 700 watts at the time cuz I didnt have money for a new amp. They needed 1050 RMS, but even with the 700 they slammed louder and harder than almost all my friends' systems. Just a thought.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Briggs 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry for the highjack but.... I got a four channel kenwood amp that pushs 40 rms a channel. I want to use two channels for my front and rear mids and the other two bridged for a single 12" sub. My question is if my mids are set up in parallel (RF and RR on one channel and LF and LR on ther other) will this damage my amp. And what would the wattage be going to the speakers. 

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

Briggs (aka Mr. threadjacker) this will not damage the amp. All it will do is give you no fade control. The amp will give 80w x 2 in the front channels and about 160w x 1 to the sub.

Insanity, I'll post back for you later.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
I would use the 10's and fire them forwards. I would also not use 3 10's in the smallest recommended box (usually it is the one they list) but would rather use two 10's in the proper box, be it ported or sealed. A case in point here is the Eclipse aluminum drivers, they will operate fine in a .5 cu.ft. sealed box but come alive with 1.0 cu.ft. and slam with 1.25 cu.ft. Sure I can put 5 subs in .5 cu.ft. boxes and get 2.5 cu.ft or I can choose 2 drivers and put them in the same volume or I can do anything in between.  In this case it will be about the airspace first, then the number of drivers.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic