icon

Passlock II Bypass Help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jwiese 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
Ok here's the deal, I own a 2000 Malibu in which the passlock II system is faulty.
I get recurring no starts due to the passlock system (multiple times in one day even), and I have to do the whole "wait 10 minutes with the ingnition in the ON position" to reset the computer and I am tired of it. Dealer won't do anything, of course, because it is intermittant. Plus I don't want to pay $300 for a new stupid lock cylinder.
I have decided to go ahead and buy a bypass module, but I need help picking one out. I'm looking for the one that is easiest to install, and is a learned module (for fluctuating weather conditions). Also can use some links to places online that sell these modules for the best prices. It's only going to be used in my Malibu, so I don't care if it's not compatible with every vehicle out there.
Plus, since my lock cylinder is in the dash and not the steering column, how much of my dash do I have to tear apart to install it?
I've looked on the forum and I've seen alot of different modules mentioned under different scenarios, but for my situation (bypass only, no remote starter going to be used...yet) which one is best?
(I know most are designed to be used with a remote starter and only turn on when the remote starter is engaged, but I assume I can permanently ground the "ground while running" wire on the module so it is active all the time?)
jwiese 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
BTW I have seen the PLDATA II module on ebay for $31.95 shipped. It looks to be simple to install, bypass wire, +12V wire, and 2 grounds. What does everyone think of this module? Also have seen the DEI 555L as well.
Also I found that I only have to remove the radio to get access to the harness, so that question is taken care of.
jwiese 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, PLDATA unit I will be looking at is the PLGML, does this one use the OBD connector like the PLGMD? PLGMD seems to be discontinued....
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
I am just curious how you know for sure that the cylinder is the problem? Is that what the dealer said? I ask because an intermittent problem with the passlock is no reason to refuse a warranty. If the thing doesn't work sometimes, then it needs to be fixed.
Anyway, you have a few issues with that vehicle that make it a little more complicated to accomplish what you are trying for. From what I understood from talking with Trilogix tech support last year after I bought a PLDATA for a Malibu, they said it would bypass the Passlock II, but that the security light would turn on everytime. This has something to do with the fact that the system needs to see the resistence value which the PLDATA does not use. You might be able to still use it and put up with the security light on, but then you still need to deal with the ground output when running wire that you thought you would be able to just ground permanently. First of all you will want to use a relay that would be triggered by an ignition wire to create a negative ignition wire for that wire. This setup might suffice if you are willing to put up with the security light being on all the time. However, there is a possibility that the signal from the PLDATA and the key cylinder would interfere and cause the computer to see two codes and lock up. You would then have to cut the factory passlock wires (well just the yellow one would suffice).
Since I am purdy sure you won't want to put up with the security light, then you would need a module like the PLXR from bypasskit.com. Here is the install manual:
PLXR Install Manual (Look at the second Page)
From what I can tell, you would just need to cut the yellow passlock wire and connect the PLXR to the computer side. You wouldn't hook up the keysense wire. The ground when running would just need a negative ignition like I mentioned earlier.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
jwiese 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
They won't fix it because they can't reproduce it. And everytime it happens, I obviously can't drive the car there to show them!
A.) I'm not paying for it to be towed there to show them
B.) by the time it got there, it would be reset
C.) I am out of warranty anyway
And if I can disable it for $20 then it is worth it. Towing and repair would be over $400.
If my car gets stolen, that's what my full coverage insurance is for.
jwiese 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
Well you have to order a minimum of 2 bypass kits from www.bypasskits.com, and I couldn't find any other vendors who carried it, so I wend ahead and ordered the PLXR and the PLZAP bypass kits.
Anyone used the PLZAP kit?
deviousjoker 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
just buy a 555L it's one of the best systems out there.....it's a easy connection you can get them at almost any shop that sells security systems.....it will run you about $30-50..........it learns the resistance from the key....all you have to do is cut the resistance wire and wire one end into the brain and the other end into the output ground in the 3 pin harness and a neg output from the security system you're using.
First Class MECP Installer
derek123 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

deviousjoker wrote:
just buy a 555L it's one of the best systems out there.....it's a easy connection you can get them at almost any shop that sells security systems.....it will run you about $30-50..........it learns the resistance from the key....all you have to do is cut the resistance wire and wire one end into the brain and the other end into the output ground in the 3 pin harness and a neg output from the security system you're using.

GMT 100 from autostart is even better. one wire connection at the obd2, so no cutting wires, and no going to the switch.

deviousjoker 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
is the one from autostart able to work from a non auto start unit.......I know the autostart bypass just plugs into the brain......I personally love autostart it has the best range on the market and the remotes are almost indestructable. 
First Class MECP Installer
jwiese 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
Actually I have been wanting a remote start kit and keyless entry, so I managed to pick up a RS114 bulldog kit off ebay for $30. Figured if I am going to do a bypass anyway, might as well just do it all now.
Now I just have to figure out how to get the bypass to run during the remote starting and during keystarting.....
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic