icon

system amp problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nickch 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, i'm currently in a delima on how i should go about to powering my system.

I'm going to have 4" component sets for the front stage which i want to supply about 60W RMS to both channels, a pair of 6x9 which i want to have 80W RMS per channel and a subwoofer which will get 400W RMS.

How do i go about powering this system, if i were to use one amp for the system, how do i distribute the power among the different speakers?

I was thinking of also getting 2 amps. one to power the 6x9 + the components and another amp to power the woofer. but there might be a problem with space in my car? can anyone advice me on that? thanks

Nick

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
Get a 4 channel amp for the speakers, and a separate class D mono amp for the sub.  If you want the fronts to be as loud or louder than the rears, you should consider upgrading the components to a larger size.  You can get a 4 X 60 RMS @ 4 ohm for what you have, but you'll find more selection at 4 X 50.   What you get for the sub depends on its impedence.  Mono amps work well at a 2 ohm load, so if the sub is rated 4 ohm, you will use a larger amp.  There are some compact amplifiers, so they should fit in place of a bag of groceries.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
keniwi 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  

Hi! Nickch,

What type of car or truck do u have.  First of all I agree with (Stevdart) with the specs about 2 amps.  It will be a better sound within.  Tell us what u have in order to help u out.

Later,

Keniwi

keniwi 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

Hi! Nickch

I agree with "Stevhart".  But u must tell us the car or truck u are driving so we can be as open as possible the more info the better it gets.

Keniwi

nickch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  
i'm driving a 1987 honda legend. Whatever parts that are going in there is only almost temporary.. for at least about 1 year.. then i might be switching cars.
nickch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 2:53 AM / IP Logged  

i dont want to make unneccessary modifications to the chasis. The speaker mounts up front are 4" in size.

And after reading your recommendations. I'm thinking of having 1 amp dedicated to the woofer.. and another for the other speakers..

since my woofer has a 400W nominal rating(so i take this as the RMS), i can get a 400 Wrms amp for that and for the other speakers which consist of a pair of 6x9 with total nominal rating of 80Wrms and a pair of 4" splits with no RMS rating, but i assume it to be 80Wrms as well, i can get a 200W amp for that..

as a sidenote.. ironically, this seems like the pattern that those sony amplifiers have.. 222W and 444W

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic