icon

Subs hit, but don't pound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  

I have 2 Audiobahn AW1206T Woofers powered by and Audiobahn 1800D  amplifier.   The subs are in a rectangular 5 cu. ft.  ported box ( Audiobahn's recommendation ) in a  ford explorer.  The subs are firing straight up, and the ports are located on hte sides.   

After 2 weeks of initial break-in, I've turned up the gain a bit, and cranked up the bass-boost.  The woofers are obviously hitting, but when in the drivers seat, it doesn't hurt like 1800 RMS watts should hurt.............    Do I need to tinker with my sound settings, or is this something common with ported boxes?   They are pushing lotssssssssssss of air, and if you stand outside, you can watch the door panels actually balloon out with the hits.     Would DYNAMAT help, or anything else???
Let me know, so I can get these suckers ready for work
P.S.--- At this point it's highly unlikely I've got 1800 watts RMS actually making it's way to hte subs.   The amp is only getting a miserable 10-12 volts average, since they suck so much juice.   I will be buying an alternator and a few caps to fix this, but regardless,   where is my eardrum-popping bass????
5cu ft  ported box
4in wide ports,   7 inches deep
2 woofers wired at 1 ohm

AMP IS 1ohm Stable

~wayland
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
Whoaa there turbo turn down the bass boost and gain, they arn't volume controls. Set the gain properly and turn that bass boost down! Are your subs wired out of phase (are all the + connections going to the + on the amp and all of the - connections going to the - on the amp). If you have a ford explorer the alternator should be around 100 to 120 amp so the sub amp shouldn't be too bad off right now. By the way don't waste your money on caps just buy a HO alternator.
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
I would take into consideration the enclosure. I'm not an expert on ported enclosures, but I always thought the ports should be on the same face as the subs. Are the subs in their own seperate chambers? And when you say the ports are on the sides, do you mean each port is firing into the wheel well?
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah-I've always been under the impression that your ports should be on the same side as your subs.  Did you build the box?  If so, are the insige edges of the ports flared(or sanded smooth?)  If not, you will get the whooshy port noise sound.  How bout' your port length, are they the right size?  You can use the port length calculator on this site to determine port size and tuning.   You are right though, your set-up should make your ears bleed.  I know that sinking feeling when you get a new system and it doesn't meet your expectations-Good luck!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
The above comments are right on.  With ports facing different directions from woofers, acoustic cancellation will occur.  Here's an explaination from another thread that may apply in your case.
Support the12volt.com
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
k, guys, more details for u....
for 1, the subs are all wired properly, i checked and double checked....
The gains and bass boost are all set properly.......i spent hours taking care of that, once for initial break in, and a second time for a secondary break in period.
The ports are firing toward the wheel wells, while the subs are firing toward the roof.....all ports are cut EXACTLY to audiobahn specs...  
The ports are all smooth as well, no flares or anything like that....
I have yet to read the noise cancellation thread.......cuz i'm afraid i'll have to rebuild!!!
~wayland
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
ALSO, yes, the subs are separated (so there's two 2.5 cu ft sections).
I was reading THE CAR STEREO COOKBOOK by Mark Rumreich, and it said that ports can be placed on any side of the enclosure, as long as they're 4-6 inches away from the woofer (for clearance).  The acoustic example you said in that other thread would seem logical, but only if the two subs were in different phases...............maybe i need some more info on that part....
~wayland
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you have your woofers and your ports 90 degrees out of phase physically and your loss of SPL is due to phase alignment issues.  They are certainly cancelling each other and you are losing some of the SPL being generated by your fairly extreme setup.  Do you have an SPL meter?  Does your amp have a phase control?  Can you mount a reflection baffle above the woofers that will re-direct the sound rearward to introduce a time delay?  You might be able to correct some of the effect with enough time and manipulation.... but most likely, and most easily, a rebuild is in order if you really want max SPL out of this system.  Sorry!
Support the12volt.com
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  

hmmm.........i think i'll try just replacing the sides with new MDF, or just covering them with some silicone and a fresh piece of MDF, and cutting new ports next to the woofer........but that'll have to wait for another weekend..................   THANKS!

~wayland
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

wayland1985 wrote:
After 2 weeks of initial break-in, I've turned up the gain a bit, and cranked up the bass-boost. 

wayland1985 wrote:
The gains and bass boost are all set properly.......i spent hours taking care of that, once for initial break in, and a second time for a secondary break in period.

They arn't set properly if they are cranked up (especially the bass boost).

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic