icon

Installing amps and caps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jstearns 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 3:43 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, i am just wondering, i have 2 amps and i am wanting to use a cap with one, i was just wondering where i put it.  I think but i am not sure it should go after my fused distribution block.  Also if i get a cap with multiple outputs so i can hook both amps up to it, do i even need a fuse before the cap?  I will still have one near the battery, but do i need one where my distribution block would be?  Thanks.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 4:25 AM / IP Logged  

a fuse at that end of the wire is to protect the wires that are "disrtibuted" off of the main feed. if you split a single wire into other wires of smaller size i reccomend fusing them. if you decide to put your cap any were in the system i would still reccomend the fuses, wether it be before the cap or after depending on your setup.

if you wanted to put a cap on only one amp you just run it on the power lead to that amp after your distribution block.

if you wanted to add the cap so it worked on both amps just put it in before the distro block.

if you are not sure how to correctly connect the cap to the system please ask before something doesn't work or "breaks".

Quad L Handyman services
outkastloz 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
on a 1.0 farad cap, not digital, do you just put it in line as positive on one post in and positive out, or is it pos to it and out from same post and neg in and out on other post?????????????????????? im lost
outkast lowriders of detroit mi. detroits first lowrider club
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
see https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=33039&PN=4
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jstearns 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  
If I put the cap befor the distribution block, and the amp demands more current, what is the chance of blowing a fuse?  I know if it is big enough all is fine and dandy, but if it is big enough for the extra current, will it still protect my amp?  Or do i just have to find a happy medium?
mikedawg 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
put the cap after the distribution block. as close to the sub amp as you can get it. it has to be an inline setup. which means main power to the cap and one from the cap to your amp. then ground your cap.youll have to have two ring terminals on the positive side of your cap. in the package your cap came with there should be a long bolt and and a short one. youll need the long one for the positive and use the short one for the ground
always looking for new info and willing to give it

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic