icon

Headliner glassing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zxkid888 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
hey everyone, i've been checking out this site for awhile and finally became a member today. I have done a good amount of gauge pods and sub enclosures in glass and know the basics of fiberglass. However i'm going to be making a pod of 2 gauges and a a space for a screen on the passenger side of the headliner... My question is how to do it so that it's supported.
-Do i tape off and make a mold of the space where i want to do the glassing?
-Or do i just tape off and spread resin on the headliners carpet material and build up from there?
Any help/suggestions would be great and some of my small work can be seen here... www.cardomain.com/id/zxkid88
Thanks!
Justin
zxkid888 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  
anyone? I just got my headliner tonight
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Personally I'd suggest some small bolts, I'm kinda talking out my ass since I've never done a headliner install besides just some flipdown DVD monitors which come with mounting brackets. You might try taking off the headliner and looking at how the roof is assembled. Then see if you can custom make a bracket or modify a bracket to allow you to mount it to the roof directly. Sorry I cant be more of a help.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
zxkid888 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  

thanks, really all that holds the headliner on is 8 clips and the dome light screw.. then theres the skeleton and then the sheet metal roof.  I could maybe mold the screenbox end to the a pillar? i dont know how that would effect the installation though..anyone got any ideas?

Justin

evol E 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2004 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
Your in luck I've got a lot of experence with headliners and glassing. Anyho I need more info about what kind of car and where r u trying to put them? if u let me know I could be a little more spacific about how ot mount your pod. But just for basics start with a wood base. something kinda thin cut an ovel or rectangle the size u need then tape off the area on your headliner with masking tape. now this is where u need to be careful. I'm guessing ur puting this up front so drop the front of your head liner. in every car there is a front header bow u can screw in to it but make sure u don't use to long a screw. once u know how long a screw u need put the liner back up and screw your wood base to the header bow through the liner then use body puddy to fill the gaps. that will give u a strong fited base to mount baffle rings 2. So good luck and let me know how it turns out.
drunkenbreaker 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2004 at 3:15 AM / IP Logged  
good post evol E.  I've never done a headliner install, but I would probably weld a couple of nuts to the roof and actaully bolt the fiberglass pieces up.  Like I said though I've never done it, seems a little to dangerous for my taste
evol E 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2004 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
U could try welding bolts but for a light weight piece like that it would be a waste of time and u also have to worry about warping the roof metal. 
evol E 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
How did it turn out?
firepower 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
i'd like to know how it turned out also? pic's please
mecp
zxkid888 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry to keep ya guys waiting that wanna see pics.... it got pushed back a lil because of a friend needing motor work. Anyway, as of right now the liner is out and i'm going to end up using the passenger A-pillar for a little support..ie. having the glass come from the liner to the pillar.  I'll keep ya'll posted on it's progress.  Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic