icon

Gel Coat

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
suicide 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

Ok so i got a few questions....   I have all my door panels in my bmw 325i painted with automotive paint and clear coat..  primed before the base was layed..    so after a while i noticed cracking... HMMMM FU_K!!!!    well  n  e ways sh*t happens..  so i wanted to know about this chem called "GEL COAT"  i have used fiberglass cloth/matt  and res and hardner.. i understand all concepts.. i just wanted to know how gel coat works were to get it.. and its sanding properties..

suicide 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

Gel Coat - Last Post -- posted image.

this is what primer and paint looks like but its not very durable..

One_Evil_Necro 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

Gel coat is mostly used for the finish on boats... if applied correctly, it will not crack, if taken care of correctly, the color will not fade...

Prepare gel coat for application by mixing the gel coat with 1 ½% - 3% Gel Coat Hardener and 25% acetone. (If being mixed in a humid climate add 30% Patch Aid in place of acetone. Acetone will alter the pigment of the gel coat in this type of climate.) Stir mixture very well. (Acetone and Patch Aid act as reducers so the gel coat can be sprayed through a spray gun.)

.... Spray approximately 20-30 mils of gel coat at 30 pounds of pressure. Just spray repair area.

Allow gel coat to dry for 2 hours,  Sand repair area with wet (water soaked) fine 360 grit sand paper

Sand repair area with wet (water soaked) ultra fine 1200 grit Eagle Brand Sand Paper

suicide 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
sweeeet thank u necro..
suicide 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
1 more question... after its 1200 grit wet sand..  i can paint and clear like normal right!!
One_Evil_Necro 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 4:43 AM / IP Logged  

negative, you mix a coloring agent into the gel coat, that is how you get your colors,, once you are done sanding, you wax and buff  =)  You'll have your shiny finish forever  =)

~Jay

drunkenbreaker 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  

Not trying to butt heads, but I've prepared and painted Gel coat before.  It is used by bodykit manufacturers to finish the body kits before they are shipped.  Gel coat evens everything out, like small pinholes.  U.S. composites carries a white tooling gel coat.  The pigment is used in automotive to distinguish the brands apart like the turqouis color is "AROGEAR" brand bodykits and orange is "BOMEX"  after sanding gel coat primer like a piece of finished fiberglass and paint and clear.  It should work and be durable if done correctly.  I'm not  a professional, so before taking my advice call U.S. Composites yourself and get help.  they're really helpful and friendly. 

U.S. composites

www.shopmaninc.com

One_Evil_Necro 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2004 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

Sure you can paint it, it works fine.   You can also add the color right to the gel coat.  Search on the net for small watercraft repairs or what not and I'm sure you will find a helpfull guide to get you started on your project.  Gel Coat is a resin, so you can pretty much do anything to it paintwise that you could/would to fiberglass.

~Jay

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic