icon

air nailer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daclown 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2002 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
I just got a new air compressor and need to add to my inventory of tools, spray gun, die grinder etc,
the proble, I have is with an air nailer. Do I go with a framing nailer, brad nailer or what! also how long
of max nail lenght do I need? I don't have the $$$ for top of the line but don't want to settle for a P.O.S
that is gonna break after a few uses either.
Thanks in advance for the info.
Clown
CTMobileMedia 
Copper - Posts: 43
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2002 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  

A 2" Brad Nailer would probably be your best bet. Porter Cable makes a fairly inexpensive model, although I prefer the Stanley Bostitch or Senco. The 2" guns can shoot a brad as short as 5/8" - a good size range for most of your needs.

I'd suggest buying a nice 18v cordless drill for building boxes, etc., as nails won't hold a sub enclosure together as well as screws over the long term. The drill has so many uses too. I love the DeWalt 18v drill ($190). Great investment. The brad gun would be useful for tacking a box together while you strengthen all your joints with screws.

Dave

Great tools @ www.woodworkerswarehouse.com

Inexpensive tools @ www.harborfreight.com

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2002 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

Check this out it’s a cordless nailer just bought one of these very happy with it. Much easier to use than my old air nailer a lot lighter and smaller, much easier to get into those smaller spaces. Defiantly worth the money.  However the price is a little steep Got mine off eBay for about $300.

http://www.paslode.com/products/tool_catalog/IMCT.html

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 03, 2002 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

An airnailer will do just fine for assembling boxes.  Let's not forget that whether we are using nails or screws to assemble boxes, these are used as TEMPORARY fasteners while the glue sets and should not be relied upon as a "Key" that holds the box together. 

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
intelligentaudi 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2002 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  

If you are looking for a good cheap nail gun, airy makes a kit with a brad nailer and a staple gun for about $120. Even though it is cheap, it is still very reliable. Oiled daily, it has survived over 1 and a half years full service in a cabinet shop, often being used when the porter cable and the stanley jam up. If you are looking for a basic no frills attached gun, this is the way to go.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic