icon

Speaker Wire length

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bfeeny 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
Should the speaker wire length for the right and left channels be the same? That is, I am putting an amp on the drivers side of the car (in the back of the car). This makes it a longer distance to reach the passenger side speakers, about 5 or 6 feet more. Does this matter, or should I make both runs the same length?
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
electricity is supposed to be "instantious" so i don't see why there should be a difference. maybe my "theory" behind that is bad... im not sure
Quad L Handyman services
Markheus 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

ahem

300,000 km/secSpeaker Wire length - Last Post -- posted image.

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
ah my bad,  just that little step below "instantanious" haha damn it is quick would hate to race that.....
Quad L Handyman services
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
That kind of difference may not even be measureable, much less apparent to hearing.  The main reason to have speaker wires of similar length is the total resistance of the wire, and not for the reason of the time that it takes for current to travel.  Keep the wires routed with lengths as short as is reasonable.  With average 16 gauge wire, your setup should be fine.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Markheus 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
Definitely an exercise in futility lol
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
Markheus wrote:

ahem

300,000 km/secSpeaker Wire length - Last Post -- posted image.

Dude, that was some quickness coming up with that figure!

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Markheus 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

hehe - boredom I suppose. Its just the speed of light in a vacuum. I'm sure its slower through a copper wire, depending on resistance and whatnot - as you stated. Then again - I'm sure not even the haughtiest audiophile could tell the difference.

However - What about different gauges of speaker wire going to a left and right speaker - could one tell the difference? lol

stevdart 
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
...my hearing is about half shot in my right ear from close encounters with rock n roll....so I always run 4 gauge to the right and 16 ga. to the left     lol    and when I turn around backwards everything gets screwed up...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  

This question is one of the many points where "true audiophiles" will argue.  The same people who buy $300 platinum plated RCA  interconnect cables and run 4 gage speaker wires will tell you that the speaker leads need to be the exact same lentgh or you can introduce time alignment errors in your system.  And, in theory, they are correct.  But in actual practice I've never seen it make much difference unless the wire length is VERY gross (like one wire at 3 feet and the other at 300 feet.)  And then the milisecond time delay difference was not something one could hear, only something that could be measured with a scope.

Now that being said, I must admit that I, more out of fear, witch-craft and superstition than logic, always make my speaker wire runs the same length.  I guess knowing something is possible is enough to make me try and eliminate it when it only costs a few pennies to do so.  Speaker Wire length - Last Post -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic