icon

Velcro Amp Board - Bad idea?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bfeeny 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, you all are great with answering questions, much appreciated.
I am securing my 2 amps (JL Audio 300/2, JL Audio 300/4) to a 1/2" peice of MDF with screws. However, I am unsure about a good way to secure the MDF board to the floor of my hatchback area (2003 VW GTI). I am considering using Industrial Strength Velcro. Good idea? Bad idea?
If you don't think Velcro is an ok idea, what are some options? the floor is metal, I suppose I could use screws, but I was trying to avoid screwing it into the floor.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
You answered your own question in the topic title!  Thieves have a tough time pulling amp boards off of Velcro...lol   that's two amps with one tug.  See the topic "Here's a story everyone will like" recently posted.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bfeeny 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
I am not worried about the theives. If a thief is going to break in my car, they will get the amps if they want them. How do they know its velcroed and not screwed? I mean if they have a screwdriver and an extra 30 seconds, they can get the amps anyways.
My amps are under a false floor, stealth, not that that is much a detterent.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged  

bfeeny wrote:
I am not worried about the theives. If a thief is going to break in my car, they will get the amps if they want them. How do they know its velcroed and not screwed? I mean if they have a screwdriver and an extra 30 seconds, they can get the amps anyways.
My amps are under a false floor, stealth, not that that is much a detterent.

First....ALWAYS WORRY ABOUT THIEVES!!!!

Second...Velcro may not be the best way to go.  If you hit a bump or a dip too hard..there go your amps and your false floor.  Screw them down using non common screws like torx head or square head types.  The install in my wifes 2000 4 runner is a false floor to cover the amps and wiring.  It still looks almost factory and none of the bolts/screws are visible and we can still help someone move or go to home depot.  A thief will go for the easy steal every time.  Only for stuff they can see.  If you don't go every where blasting your system and don't have a Alpine sticker across your windsheild, then you're less likely to be a target. 

Also, here's the thread that was mentioned.

Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Velcro Amp Board - Bad idea? - Last Post -- posted image.
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 5:16 AM / IP Logged  
one thing you may want to consider is that insurance companies are reluctant to compensate you for your loss of audio equipment if they have not been secured to the vehicle. their usual method of substantiating that is by seeing the holes resulting from the equipment having been bolted (screwed) to the car.
however, if that's not a concern to you, and if the velcro does hold things in place, then sure....why not?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  

As already described, Velcro is a bad idea from the perspective of thieves.  But as far as mounting securely, it works great.  I have mounted amps and subwoofers to OEM carpet using Velcro several times, and it always stays in place.  It is a great solution if you need to be able to quickly remove or move your system.  If you feel theft is not an issue to worry about, then Velcro is great.

Support the12volt.com
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have my amp secured with velcero and its worked out fine so far.  I mainly did it because its a temorary amp and I dont want to make screw holes, then more when i get my new amp.
mv2123 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
i say do it right the first time i once had 2 amps that wherent bolted down hit a pot hole , the ground wire ripped of but a few strands where left attached, any ways it cause my wires to fry and i ruined 2 amps , do it right bolt it in if your worried about hole add some silicone
wait , you hear something sparking?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic