icon

Materials for custom amp rack

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
I didn't know Lowes or Home Depot sold plexiglass.  Do you know if they will custom cut if to a certain size/shape for me?  What thickness do you recommend if one big sheet will be supporting the weight of two PPI amps?  I guess they will weight about 50 lbs for both put together.  I will probably want just one rectangular piece that will need to be about 2 feet wide by about 4 feet long.  If I need to put a brace in the back middle to help hold the weight, I can.  Thanks.
Materials for custom amp rack - Page 2 -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
mikedawg 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  

yeah they also sell the lexan youre talking about. im not completely sure i know what your design is. so i cant really help ya too much with that. but its really easy to cut. just score it a couple of times with a hobby knife, put it on the edge of the table and snap it apart. theyll cut it for you too if you need them too. good luck

always looking for new info and willing to give it
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
If the stuff is expensive, and I'm going to be buying such a large piece, I won't want to try to cut it or break it myself.  The piece will have to be pretty thick if it's going to hold a lot of weight and I'm guessing cutting it with a hobby knife and trying to break it will not give me the precision edges that I'll need.  Basically I want it to be the front window of a fiberglass enclosure that will have an MDF structure under the glass, bondo, and paint.  The two amps will mount on the sheet of clear plexi and I will probably glue the neon tubes right behind the amp on the back side of the plexi so the amps look backlit when the neon tubes are on.   
AirNavy 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
I would probably go with at least 1/2" for that. They can probably cut it, but I wouldn't trust them to make it square or clean. You can cut it just like MDF, but you have to use a very fine blade in a jigsaw or fine bit in a router and go slowly. Then you sand the edges with 1500ish grit paper and hit it with a propane torch (about 6" away) to bring back the shine. The biggest drawback to trying to backlight them is that the edges will show the light more than the face will. If that's the look you are going for, it is cheaper and easier to drill a couple of 1/4" deep holes to mount LEDs in behind the amp so they are hidden.
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
I have a jigsaw, but I'm not sure how fine the blades are.  I'll have to check.  I'm not too worried about the edges.  I thought of a way to hide them when I make the enclosure.  It should look nice when done.  I just bought both the PPI amps and paid some bills, so I'm low on funds for a couple weeks.  I'll probably buy the plexi next paycheck and then I'll get started on building what I'm calling "The Beast".  It will be one large amp rack that will house both PPI amps on top of the plexi window(s) and it will cover and enclose the JL Audio 12W7 sub in the subzone box.  I'm going to build it in 3/4" MDF and fleece and glass it.  Then use Rage Gold and maybe Maraglass to finish it and then paint and clear it.  If it comes out looking bad I'll either carpet it or take it to have them fix my messed up paint job at the body shop.  I'll build the MDF frame outside the truck and then put it in the truck to stretch the fleece over it and staple/glue that down.  Then I'll remove it to glass it outside the truck.  When that dries I'll make sure it fits inside again and then I'll Maraglass it outside since it won't move/warp by that point.  I can also finish it with Rage Gold and do the sanding and painting outside the truck as well.  When it's done I'll install the plexi Window(s), neon tubes, and amps onto/into it.  In a month or so when I buy the 12 W7 I'll have it installed in the sub zone box.  Then I'll put the box with the sub inside the truck and put the amp rack over it.  Then I'll take it somewhere to have it all wired since I don't want to ruin the equipment by messing up the wiring myself.  I'm a newbie so if I have to pay a little to have it installed by someone who knows what they're doing, that's fine.
mikedawg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
i dont think they sell it that thick. you can always put two together. airnavy gave ya the basics of it. id lean more on the lines of the router cause a jigsaw causes the two sides to move up and down and will be more prone to cracking. if you got any questions about wiring it, just come back on here. theres alot of people that can help you. i got a 10" w7 and a 13.5" w7 so if ya need any help with those or the jl amps let me know.
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
Selectproducts.com has a piece that is 24"x32" and is clear.  It's 1" thick which will hopefully be thick enough.  I can cut it in half so it is about 48"x16" with both pieces next to each other.  Then I can mount both of the PPI amps right next to each other length wise.   I can brace the plexi in the middle on the back side where both pieces meet.  I'll glue a neon tube on the back side of the plexi under each amp so they are both back lit.
mikedawg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
i like select products. done business with them before
AirNavy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

Select Products has some nice stuff, but their prices show that they are very proud of it... :D If you are going to do two pieces, then I would go with 2 seperate windows. The joint line will be very obvious and the backlighting will make it even more obvious. I would seperate them with a doubled up strip of 3/4" MDF rabbited so the windows are flush. Also start thinking about how you will mount the plexi, I'm thinking tee nuts in the back of the MDF frame with  socket head bolts countersunk into the face of the plexi....

[IMG]http://www.boltdepot.com/images/catalog/sh.gif[/IMG]

AirNavy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
Materials for custom amp rack - Page 2 -- posted image.Oops...
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic