icon

Help Waterproofing Front 6.5 Woofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oreo lover 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  

I recently installed my stereo system in my 2000 Integra GSR.  It took about 4 days.  4 days since it was raining on and off and I didn't have a garage.  At one point the rain was really coming down and I was in the cabin running wires.  I noticed that the rain really comes into the door shells.  The door panels were off so I could see just how much water was actually dripping into the bottom of the doors.

I have Focal Polykevlars in there with a clear plastic garbage bag over each of the woofers for a temporary fix.  These woofers are quite large and want to now if anyone has any ideas to shoot to me about their custom install.  How did you fit them and waterproof your oversized woofers?

I also need to be sure the covers go as deep as possible and clear the windows.  I will have to fabricate new spacers to bring them out of the doors.  At the moment, I cut out the center of the OEM black plastic dish like spacers in the GSR.   What would I make the spacers out of?

What say you?

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
You can use speaker hats. They come in slimline if you don't have alot of room for depth. I'm not sure if they would work or not for your Focal components. You could always cut out a rectangluar piece of thin foam and wrap it around the basket and tape it togethor or something. Then you could cut it to the depth of your speaker.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
or you could make a lil fiberglass pocket.  With that you will have a sealed enclosure so you will have more bass for your speakers, , and they will be able to handle more power.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

I would not recommend making a sealed fiberglass pocket.  A sealed enclosure that small might end up hurting your midbass response.

This from MB Quart's website: "All of MB Quart’s midrange/midbass speakers are optimized for infinite baffle/free air mounting, which is essentially mounting in the door or factory speaker locations. They will work best in this type of mounting using the door cavity as the enclosure. Sealed enclosures are not recommended since they would require larger than practical volumes for the speaker to function optimally. This holds true for all MB Quart products with the exception of our subwoofers. If a midrange/midbass driver is put into a small sealed enclosure, it will alter the speaker’s response characteristics and you will not get the full amount of bass or midbass that the speaker is capable of producing."

I assume the same is true for your Focals.   Those speaker hats customsuburb recommended work well.  Even with those I would cut out the backs as to not restrict the volume of air your speaker has to work with.  I did that w/ my mbquart install.  They stay dry and sound good.

kfr01 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic