icon

What is wrong with Audiobahn?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
marlon c 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
Down here in Texas, alot of guys have Audiobahn Systems in their ride, including me. I want to redo my system because it is about 4 years old, but now I don't know what to get because i've heard people dogg the product; especially in this forum. What does anyone recommend? Are Cadence any good?
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
how much are you looking to spend? there are tons of brands out there, and any of them could be a good match for you. Audiobahn is dogged cuz of their inability to be a SQ speaker, but for the most part they do pretty well in spl.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  

Audiobahn spends more time on the chromeing, and fancy details to make there stuff look good, rather than spending time on actual performance of the products.  Just like sony....they make tv's, home stereo, phones, walkmans, ...whell, , basically everything electronic.....which leaves them what? 1 day of designing per product.....   

Definately look into some more mainstream products, , it will only cost a little more, but you will be much much happyer/

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
Keep your Audiobahn wires...they"re good.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Audiobahn and its sister companies (I think there about six of them) are the brainchild of a marketing company.  They created the line and hype around it and sold lots of it.  Their product is off the shelf (selected from manufacture's catalogs) and dressed to their requirments.  The idea is if you have enough bling you can sell anything. Stuff works.  Like most pop stars, if it looks good who cares about performance.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with AplineGuy here.  Any time a company spends time and money on something like chrome finish and puts it in a fairly low-priced product I have to wonder.  That said, I have seen some good editorial reviews of some of their subs. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  
My opinion is Audiobahn amps are worth the money. They have some flash to them, but they've been solid performers.
Unfortunately I can't say the same for their subs. As everyone else has mentioned, their subs are designed more for flash than for performance and SQ. A lot of Audiobahn's hype on their subs is for inverted mounting (hence the extra flash on their baskets).
Unfortunately you don't gain anything from inverted mounting, and unless you know what you're doing with it (inverted mounting) you can damage your equipment in a heartbeat. So that leaves people spending too much money on a sub where 1) 9 times out of 10 you'll never see the detail they put into the basket design and 2) still not achieving the performance that could have been obtained by overall better quality subs for around the same price.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

Audiobahn has a rep for stealing designs and slapping the chrome and their name on it.

www.adireaudio.com   could tell you all day that adire is a great audio maker and is a great product. 

www.edesignaudio.com  Another inexpensive high quality audio maker.  There older flat cone sub is being sold at 65$ a pop- thats cheap.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
marlon c 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
Could someone give me product names of good sq subs? What are Audiobahns 6 sister companies? Can 8" subs move the ground? I wanna put 4 of them in a 99 Malibu.
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, i think that some people are influenced way to easy. The audiobahn line is good. They couldnt get good just with marketing. Grant it their low line subs are crap, but what brand doenst make cheap low line pieces of crap? I ran 2 12" pro piston compression subs with audiobahn intake amps and never had a problem other than it was too loud for the neighbors. They hit hard and the amps preform outstanding. I think that the pro piston compression subs are right up there in line with the w6 subs of JL. This is speaking from experience with both subs in teh same car. I felt that the 2 JLs didnt hit as hard OR CLEAR as the audiobahns. say what you may, but audiobahn is a good brand.

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/cgi-bin/store/AWP312T.html

Look at that sub. There is no flame. No additional flash, and that thing pounds like there is no tomorrow. For everyone out there who is totally against auiobahn, just be openminded and take another look at their products. I used to be against them too because of all the crap i read, but then i went out and actually heard some of their stuff with an open mind, and now im hooked.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic