icon

just bought an amp and speakers someone

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95Legend 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
ok i bought 2 punch 12's in a box with a 250 watt punch amp, the amp is already mounted to the box and hooked up to the speakers but i have some questions about how its hooked up and what settings to use.
--First there are 2 outputs L and R for speakers ouputs on the amp he has both speakers linked togather and wired into the R output and nothing wired to the left, he also has the crossover setting on LP (HP-Full-LP are the options) is this setup right ??? i know nothing about amps or speakers but it looks kinda weird.
--What crossover frequency setting should it be on???
--also there is a wire labled REM and it is spliced into the + wire that goes to the battery is this correct???
if someone could help me answer these questions that would be much appriciated.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

Model of the Punch amp?  Want to know if it is a mono amp or a 2 channel amp.  Also, look at the wiring on the speakers and refer to this wiring wizard and then post the wiring used.  Post  the speaker model.

Then we'll get to crossover frequency.  LP ( low pass ) is correct for subwoofers.  The REM connection should go to 12 volt switched at the fuse box under the dash, not to the battery power.  If you have an aftermarket deck installed, the REM would connect to that.  It is a blue wire.  It tells the amp to turn on when you turn the deck on.  If connected to a switched 12 volt wire, the amp will turn on when the ignition is on.

With the REM spliced onto the power wire, I have to wonder...do you know that this amp setup works?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
95Legend 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
ya the setup works and it bumps pretty well i jsut took it out of my friends car yesterday i belive its a 2 channel amp but im not sure the model # where might i find it? oh and having the rem hooked up to the to the battery does that mean the amp was on all the time when it was in his car?
95Legend 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
ok i just looked the speakers say 4 ohm on the back and have the number RFP-1412 and have 2 wires comming from them.
the amp says 250 punch and has the number 271355000-01 not sure if that means anything it also says
62.5x 2 watts rms at 4 ohm
and
125x2 watts rms at 2 ohms
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  

The speakers are connected together.  Do they look like this?

just bought an amp and speakers someone -- posted image.

I would think that it is a bridgeable amp, although it must be discontinued as I don't see a Punch amp with those specs listed on Rockford's site.  The amp should show a diagram of wiring for bridged at the speaker terminals.  Use that diagram.

The power would fry the turn-on circuitry, I would think.  I fuse my REM with a 1/2 amp fuse, whereas the power wire is pulling 20 or 25 amps.  Rewire as I described above.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
95Legend 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&item=5703391407&category=39737
thats the same amp i have
95Legend 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  
ya the speakers are wired like that and they going into the right speaker outlet but there is also a left speaker outlet on the amp that has nothing connected to it whats with that??
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
OK, here's my 2 cents (and by the way I am a RF enthusiest)
I haven't been able to find anything on the RFP-1412 subs for reference. Rockford doesn't even have them listed in their tech support area anymore (which is really disappointing since they used to have all their manuals easily accessible)
But from your description they are 4ohm SVC subs. He has them run in parallel for a 2ohm total load and run to 1 channel. You could actually wire one sub to each channel and still achieve the same power output of 65.2 watts per sub. I would actually suggest doing that as long as you have left and right inputs comming from the headunit.
HP filter is your High Pass filter used for running internal speakers (your door speakers). This setting allows only frequencies higher then the set limit to pass through (keeping the bass out of your mids/tweeters)
LP filter is your Low Pass filter used for subs. This setting only allows frequencies lower than the set limit to pass through (keeping the higher range frequencies out of the subs).
You want to switch it to Low Pass. Adjust it until you hear only bass coming from the subs, or to where it sounds best for your musical tastes.
As for the REM line, this is the Remote line and tells the amp to turn on and off. It is usually connected to the Headunit, NOT the power line. What he has it rigged to do is for the amp to stay on constantly regardless of if the car is on or not! The power line runs directly to the car's battery, regardless of the car's ignition. This is an extremely poor method of installation, and I highly suggest you rerun the REM line to the headunit.
Unfortunately the setup is not a good match between subs and amp, and you wont get much hard pounding bass from it. It's good enough to give you a little bump, but that's about it.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
95Legend 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the info man i got it all hooked up today and your crazy this bumps uncontrollably sounds sooo good and all the interiors are clear with it turned up all the way. You can hear it from a block away.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
If we ever meet I'll let you hear my system and then you'll realize what I meant by you'll get a "little bump but that's about it". I started with about the same type of system that you have now about 11 years ago running apx. 60 watts to each 12" sub. The bump was good, but not as good as when it was raised to 150 watts per sub, then 250, then 500 (soon to be 1000 watts per sub) the whole while focusing on SQ as well as SPL.
I can remember how much I was impressed with my first setup because of the bass increase. Trust me, it's only going to get better for you as the years go on (and you will eventually get the bug and want more!).
Bass frequencies can travel a good distance, so it's not suprising that you can hear it from a block away. If you've got good SQ inside the car than you're doing good.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic