icon

Fine Tuning My Sub.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
razorbacx 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

I've got an Xtant Z104 10" sub sitting in a Q-Logic QLH-1.0010SE enclosure. Xtant recommends .75 cuft for a sealed enclosure, however, my box is 1.00 cuft. Can I adjust the overall cuft by adding fill to the box or am I stuck where I am at? I want my bass to hit harder rather than sounding a bit "BOOMY" like it currently does. I believe and please correct me if I am wrong, that by addressing the internal size of my box I can get my bass to hit harder and to be more directed.

For those that need to know here are my specs: 1996 Honda Accord EX 4 dr, JBL GTO635's in the front doors, MB Quart DKC 169's in the rear deck and all ran off a US Acoustics 4050 (4x50 rms) amp. Coustic 161SE amp bridged (mono) running my sub. Pioneer Premeir DEH-P550MP Head Unit.

As always, I appreciate your assistance.

Kind Regards,

Razorbacx

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
Adding poly fill will make the enclosure function as if it was larger, not smaller.  If yu want to cut down the effective internal volume of the enclosure, add something solid like a wooden block or MDF cubes or even bricks, glued or screwed to the inside walls.  Add enough to take up 1/4 the available space to cut it down from 1 cuft to 0.75.  And yes, you are correct that a smaller enclosure will add punch to the bass and remove boom, and also enable yur speaker to handel more amplifier power.
Support the12volt.com
razorbacx 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn,

Thanks for the assist!

Razorbacx

pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
Build your own box out of 3/4 MDF with braceing. You will be abel to tell the biggest diff.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

pureRF wrote:
Build your own box out of 3/4 MDF with braceing. You will be abel to tell the biggest diff.

Yes, exactly. Most Q Logic boxes are made out of 5/8" (yuckFine Tuning My Sub. - Last Post -- posted image.) mdf instead of 3/4."

djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
customsuburb wrote:

pureRF wrote:

Yes, exactly. Most Q Logic boxes are made out of 5/8" (yuckFine Tuning My Sub. - Last Post -- posted image.) mdf instead of 3/4."

Yes. i agree 100%. Q-logic make cheap boxes and if you want your sub to hit nice, just build your own box the the exact specs that you need. You could put blocks in the box, that would do the job, but just build a box and do it rite. It will make a big difference.

chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Razor,
Another way to make this box work without building a new box is to add a coating to the inside of the box. (I have done this before to make a customer happy and it really works)
first I would add a set of 2x2's screwed to the inside of the box to take up the cu airspace needed. then...
Go to your automotive parts place and buy a can or two of some spray on bed liner. I am able to get some at my local wal-m***. In an area and while wearing cloths you don't mind getting messy, spray the insides of the enclosure in several layers with the liner. If you take your time you can build up a ¼ layer on all walls of the box. I do this liner method with even my new boxes just to add that extra vibration control to the box and makes the box about 1" thick.(I spray the ¾ MDF while still in sheet form for good even layers and remove the liner material from the butt or lap joint area so the glue bonds good)
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
sandt38 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
2 thoughts really, and maybe a suggestion at the end ;)
The enclosure is weak, you need to strengthen it. Brace it some. While I would prefer a differant enclosure, this will work.
Second, decreasing enclosure size will decrease sound quality, and increase the boomyness of the sub.
Try to take the gains down some. Maybe you are simply overpowering your front stage, and the bump at resonance of the vehicle is just too overpowering.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2004 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  

[QUOTE=sandt38]2 thoughts really, and maybe a suggestion at the end ;)

Second, decreasing enclosure size will decrease sound quality, and increase the boomyness of the sub.
QUOTE]

Uh, no.  Actually that is backwards.  Larger sealed enclosure will create a more boomy sound.

Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 10, 2004 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

[QUOTE=sandt38]2 thoughts really, and maybe a suggestion at the end ;)

QUOTE]

Uh, no.  Actually that is backwards.  Larger sealed enclosure will create a more boomy sound.

I think what he is talking about is that when your enclosure get's smaller, Qtc. increases.  I had a great quote by my boss on this topic and was trying to find it, but couldn't.  The boomy sound you are talking about is from lessening higher frequency peaks, and increasing the lower extention.  That can make it sound a little more boomy.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic