icon

LOC neccessary?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nickch 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

my HU has got dual preouts (front/rear  or front/subs). I'm thinking of hooking up the front and rear channels to an amp, and have a separate amp for a sub, so i want to keep the sub rca-outs free and the only way I can get my rear speakers to RCA level is by using a LOC. is there anyway i could avoid having to do this? As i've heard that LOCs may cause your SQ to decrease. If theres a way to minimalize this as much as possible, how do i go forth about it?

Thanks

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
Run your pre-outs to a four-channel amp with the head set to front/rear.  If your main amp has RCA outputs, connect your sub amp to these.  If it does not, simply use a Y-cable to split the line-level signal for the rear channel to connect to the sub amp.  Use the LP filter on the sub amp (or an external crossover.)
Support the12volt.com
nickch 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  

well.. the thing is that the rear or sub pre-outs can only be used for either one as you can set it on the headunit if you want it as sub woofer output or not and i'm afraid if i connect the sub and the rear 6x9 on the same channel, it might drain the treble on the 6x9.

p/s i'm here on my computer and at the same time crimping the terminals on my wiring harness, was wondering if theres a difference between Illumination & Dimmer. Do they go thru the same +12V each time the lights are on? or are they the opposite of each other?

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
It shouldn't drain the treble from your 6x9s as long as you have the rear channels set on rear instead of sub. Then you could split this signal and use the sub amp's built in low-pass crossover.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic