icon

subs and amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AJRXtreme 
Silver - Posts: 302
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
I have just got my system and dont have any idea how to put in my subs and amp. I already put in my head unit and speakers. I have a 1000 WATT LEGACY LA770 2CH CAR AMP and 2 12 inch audiobahn AW1251T subwoofers 1600 watts in a box enclosure. I would pay for pros to put them in but they charge way too much so i wanted to know if anyone knew how to put this stuff together. I am putting all this in my expedition.
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
How much is too much? How much is your expedition worth to you if somthing goes wrong? Even quick and dirty it should only cost you around $100.
Just mount the amp to the back of the box, run power wire fused at battery to amp. Ground to a good ground near the amp. run your RCA's and turn on wire from your head unit to the amp. Wire the speakers to the amp and your done.
you can always do tricker stuff though.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
casedeez 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
Im curious as to why you call it your "turn on" wire.
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not sure how much of a newbie you are but here's my 2 cents.

First, you need power. Connect it to your battery terminal, using 4 ga. wire. Run it through the fire wall...via drilling a hole or going through some grommet. Then pull up the trim on the floor and try to tuck it in there. Try to keep the wire from view at all times.

Next, you need to run RCA cables and a remote wire from the back of the head unit. Once again, preferably on the opposite side as the power, run the RCA and remote under the trim plastic pieces. Those are the only wires you need to run from the fron to the back. The rest is done back there.

Next, you need to get a good ground, preferably using the same 4ga. wire and close the the amp. Be sure its connected to a solid piece of metal. If there is any paint, scrap it off to get a better connection.

Then, match up the RCA, power, ground, remote and speaker wires in the apporpriate slots on your amp. This should be about it. The short the wires, the more efficient they run, so make your ground as close to the amp as possible and use the same ga. wire for the ground as you used for the power.

I hope this helps, post any more questions if you have them.

chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
casedeez wrote:
Im curious as to why you call it your "turn on" wire.
Ok.   Is "Remote" more PC for you?
I've been installing since the old school. They used to call the remote turn on lead just "turn on" lead. In fact I still have a piece of ancient history sitting on a shelf in my garage with the wire labeled from the MFG as just "turn on".   Neadless to say, thats what is stuck with me.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure to set the gain correctly on your amp, because it will probobly put out only 200 to 300 watts RMS (if your 1000 watt listing above is supposed to be an RMS rating).
AJRXtreme 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
WOW thankyou guys so much
03 F150 on 24's
HU:Pioneer DVD5700
Frt:MC57
Subs:(12)S12L7
Amps:(3)KX2500.1's, MC-2004
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
Do you know what a good ground is? If not then better say something now so we can tell you. I also have to point out that I charge 60 bucks canadian to do the work you listed plus you amp kit so I kinda wanted to know what they are charging you where you live.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
You get somebody good and that's damn well worth 60 bucks for that job.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
AJRXtreme 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

I got a Legacy LAMP4 1600 Watt 4 Gauge Car Amp Wiring Kit for the amp and subs and i wanted to know if this was right for the subs and amp i have. i also wanted to know what "LAMP4" and "4 gauge" means. I am really new to all this car audio stuff so speak to me in newb terms. thanks a whole bunch!

03 F150 on 24's
HU:Pioneer DVD5700
Frt:MC57
Subs:(12)S12L7
Amps:(3)KX2500.1's, MC-2004
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic