the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

’04 Impala stereo system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  

I know about using a relocation harness to put the factory radio in the trunk. I'm wondering if the use of a mids/highs amp and the factory speaker wiring (non bose system) will interfere with the chime sound production of the factory unit.

Is there anything special that I need to know before installing a full system in this car? I intend on ordering a relocation kit, dash kit, and antenna adaptor from Parts Express... just need to know if there's anythign else to get.

Have to be honest: this is my first 04 Chevy to work on.

NINsane18 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.impalahq.com
Check out this site, it is really helpful for an Impala owner. Lots of good info here.
Tim-May!
Fosgate3 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

I just looked at the sight and it's cool (wish they had one like this for my 1995 F150!) but it's really not answering the questions I had... It only goes into what I knew already: relocation of the factory radio to keep the chime operative.

What I'm wondering though is will the use of an aftermarket head unit running to an amp on the mids/highs affect the operation of the factory radio and the chime and all the other things that run in conjunction with the factory radio.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
I think you need the PAC C2R-GM24. Go Here and scroll down.
Fosgate3 
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

Will the power of the amp affect the chime production? All these adaptors and harnesses I see seem imply the owner is connecting *only* an aftermarket radio with no mention of an amplified signal being used.

I am putting a Clarion head unit in the car, using the preamp out going to a Memphis 3004 on front and rear speakers. will the door chime still perform fine with that sort of power and signal going to the speakers?

(maybe im not making myself clear... not sure)

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
If you dont use the Factory wiring for the speakers than your door chimes will no longer work because there are no speakers connected for the chimes to work through. If you want to keep the chimes working and use an amp with better speaker wires you can always pick up a cheap 2 inch speaker from the wrecker outta a crysler and put it under the dash. I have had to do it before and it worked perfectly fine.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Fosgate3 
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks. That was what I was looking for. I am sure that on either the PAC part mentioned above or on a relocation kit, there will be a way to connect such a speaker. I will probably use Metra's relocation kit as I can get it, a dash kit, and antenna adaptor for less than what I'm sure to pay for the PAC part.

Any small speaker, 4 ohm, connected to the,what I am assuming will be present, speaker outputs of the the PAC part or the factory radio, right?

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

From the page about the PAC C2R-GM24:

Retains all warning chimes including back-up chimes, memory seats, low fuel, door/hatch ajar and others.

• Provides a +12volt accessory wire.
• Retains RAP (Retained Accessory Power) when key is turned off. Radio stays on until the door is opened or for aproximately 10 minutes.
• Supplied wire harness to connect aftermarket stereo to factory speakers.
• Will work in vehicle that have the factory Bose® amplifier removed or bypassed. Custom wiring is required.
Buzzer is built into the interface.

Fosgate3 
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
cool thanks.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
That kit will still only work if the factory speaker wires are retained. Since I was under the imprsion that he was upgrading the speaker wire from the amp to the speakers he will still have to use a 4 ohm speaker. And yes you can use any 4 ohm speaker, I just use the little crysler ones because they are cheap and easy to mount/hide.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic