icon

multimeter help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
on what setting woudl I put the multimeter on to determine if two wires are "hot" ?? I just bought this today so I am still going through the book... thanks
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Depends on what you mean by "hot."  If you mean powered from the battery, then DC volts.  If you mean powered from an amplifier, then AC volts.
Support the12volt.com
HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
ok I tried this with an led bulb for the alarm system, just to test it, but the multimeter wouldnt show anything... is it just because its not enough of a power source?? shoudl I get a test light as well>??
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
i hooked the posative up to the posative and the neg up to the negative witht he multimeter on dc voltage.... I switched my red led light for the alarm system to a blue one.... but just out of curiosity I wanted to test and see if the multimeter worked, so I hooked it up .. and it woudlnt give me a reading before I put the Led bulb on... I soldiered it on after fumbling with the multimeter...
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
nickch 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

if you had armed your alarm and the led was indeed blinking, you would have to set your multimeter on DC volts to measure it. If your alarm was disarmed and the led is not blinking the DC voltage setting would not work. If you wanted to test to see if your LED is actually lighting up or if you want to confirm its polarity, you should be looking at the resistance setting or if your multimeter has a diode test setting(look for a diode symbol) use that. It would usually give a reading if the polarity is correct and i've seen some multimeters which actually give the LED enough juice to dimly light up

HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
see the thing is I dont think my multimeter is powered (is it supposed to be??) thers no battery compartment or anyting.. I bought it from autozone for like 20 bucks but it looks like a good one
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
HumbleI wrote:
see the thing is I dont think my multimeter is powered (is it supposed to be??) thers no battery compartment or anyting.. I bought it from autozone for like 20 bucks but it looks like a good one
Yes the meter should have its own power supply. Perhaps you should start by doing a very basic check of the DMM.
Turn it on, does the display come on??? If you turn it to any of the settings does the DMM LCD's change state?
If nothing comes on and not even a LED on the meter or a simple battery meter is indicated. The meter may well be faulty, or without a battery installed.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
May I humbly say, Humblel, read the manual first.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
lol truuuuu i guess that would help!
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic