icon

Amp makes wierd droning noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scetch50 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

OK- so I have a JBL BP.600 hooked up to a Audiobahn 12 in DVC sub rated at 700 watts rms.  It wired to 2ohms.  Anyways its been making this very low (in tone) droning noise when i drive over uneven or bumpy pavement.  I've checked all my wiring, adjusted the various input levels to no avail.  I contacted JBL and they said it could be a crack or loose connection in the amp.  However, I was also reading online about some sort or crossover protection.  Does anyone have an answer to this, or know what crossover protection is? 

thanks- MIKE

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
Crossover setting wouldn't be the issue...you have an adjustment control on that amp.  I would try duplicating the sound while you're standing at the rear of the car, because you can tell things a lot better if you're not driving at the time.  Shake the box, bounce the car, something.  Narrow it down.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
scetch50 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

thanks-

I tried what you suggested and bounced the car and shook the box and again it made the noise.  However i am still bafled by the cause.  The JBL tech guy suggested it may be the lifted trace or a crack on the PCB.  I have no idea what that means but he said it would have to be sent in to be fixed.  Does anyone know what that is and or have they ever had that problem with an amp?

stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
The sound comes directly from the amp, not the speaker?  Disconnect one of the speaker leads to isolate the amp, and not the sub or encosure as the problem.  Run the amp as normal.  Are you getting a sound?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
scetch50 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  

ok i disconnected the sub...no sound.  The sub runs normally until i bounce the car or shake the box.  Then the sub makes this monotone reverb kinda tone over the music.  After i stop it continues to play as normal.  My amp is mounted to the enclosure.  I could try taking the amp off the enclosure and ina sense isolate the sub to the vibrations.

thanks-Mike

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2004 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, try moving your amp off of the box as far away as you can and see if the noise returns. You might want to check your ground also.

scetch50 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
so i checked the ground and took apart all the wiring an re wired it.  It seems fine now.  I have been driving around for a couple days with no problems.  However, my JVC Kameleon volume button sticks so i may be getting a new HU and not a new amp. 
stevdart 
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

I noted this post in the recent thread about your deck.

"Those kameleon decks where riddled with problems. We get so many back for service calls that it's disturbing. My suggestion would be to get rid of it and get something else, cuz once you get it working again, it's gonna break again."

(silversi17)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic