icon

Finished Dash Pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
It wasn't that hard at all. First thing I did was took the entire dash out of the car. I ripped out the vents, then wrapped the whole thing in fleece, holding it down with hot glue. I'd recommend maybe a super glue for anyone else, it sticks way better. I put one coat of resin over the entire thing, then after it was cured, I put a layer of fiberglass mat down on it. I figured one layer of mat would do it justice, its not a sub box. After the mat was dry, I took an angle grinder and grinded down all the high spots, and took a dremel and cut off the exess. Then I covered the thing in Bondo. Sanded the bondo down, then put more bondo. After that bondo was sanded, more bondo. I gave it a good sanding after that, and then sprayed a layer of scratch filling primer. With that, you could see all of the pits that I missed. So I wetsanded that, and then added more bondo to the low spots. After ALL of the pits were filled, I primed it again with the scratch filling primer. Wetsanded that down, and then put a coat of primer. I put about 4 coats of Krylon Fusion paint on there, and dropped it into my buddy. As for the vents, I just cut those out with a dremel, got some mesh from the Rona I work at, painted it white, and put it in. I ran into some major problems since it's been in my car though. Im finding some air bubbles, not in the paint, but in the fiberglass itself. The heats making them swell. Looks like I'll be sanding it down and adding some bondoFinished Dash Pics - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.. As for the clearcoat, the krylon fusion is pretty shiny, and I didn't want a major glare so I just let it be. I hope that helps. I know this forum helped me out big time. Holla at me if you got anymore questions. Im still a newb, but I may be able to help. Peace
mikedawg 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
air bubbles? that sucks. nothing worst than getting something painted and then having problems. i hate that
always looking for new info and willing to give it
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic