1992 Cutlass Supreme electrical troubles

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jbc1701 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

Hi.....

I am installing a Prostart CT5000 Module in a 1992 Olds Cutlass Supreme S. Was hooking up power door locks to an external relay, connected directly to tan lock wire. The relay was receiving it's power from a red (with black stripe) wire from under the dash. Doors locked once, and died. Unfortunately, it also took the digital dash, radio, and climate controls with it. Also, the engine will crank, but won't start. The red (with black stripe) wire is now dead! The other doors will lock after pressing the lock button, but the driver's side will not. It will, however, unlock!

The red (with black stripe) wire under the dash, if connected to a constant 12 volt source, will turn on the above mentioned items and allow the engine to start. However, the driver's door will not lock. I have checked the plug at the actuator in the driver's door;the tan is getting 12 volts when locked and the grey is getting 12 volts when unlocked.

I realise that the relay probably fried the actuator, and that is why the driver's door won't lock. Replacing the actuator is no problem, but, I need to know where the red (with black stripe) wire gets it's 12 volt source. I have checked all the fuses and circuit breakers, and they all check out. I have a mechanic's manual complete with wiring diagrams, but there is no mention of this wire. I can't trace it because there is no room!

Any info on what this wire is connected to, and if there is a fusible link connected to it (and, if so, where it is!) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

JBC1701

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2004 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
did u check the fuse box under the hood?????
pull each fuse and check it...
check all breakers......find one that does work and move it to different places to see if you cab find a bad one......
lets us know what you fnd out....
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
Jbc1701 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2004 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for responding!

I have checked both fuse boxes in the engine compartment, as well as the fuse box under the glove compartment. Every fuse reads good with an ohmmeter. I have also checked the circuit breakers in the glove compartment fuse panel, and they check out as well. Am I missing any circuit breakers or fuses? Are there any fusible links under the dash?

I have a feeling it's somwhere in the fuel pump circuit. When I disconnect the 12 V constant from this wire, the fuel pump (as well as the items mentioned in my first post) will not respond. Is there a danger in leaving the 12V constant attached to this wire?

Any input would help.

Thanks!

JBC1701

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
if it was a link, then adding 12v would not work unless you were behind the bad spot.....
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
bmf1000d 
Silver - Posts: 345
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  

DO NOT LEAVE A 12 VOLT HOOKED UP TO THAT WIRE!!!!!!

If it was me i would replace the door lock acuator and see if that fixes your problem. You would not believe how many of those wire run in and out of one another.

"Big" Mike
Double Take
Fremont, Ne
remember to check all your wires with a dmm not a test light!!
i take no responsibilty whatsoever for the vailidty of the info nor consequences thereof
Jbc1701 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 6:46 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the advice, but i still need to know what the wire is for? I've checked multiple schematics and I can't find a reference to this wire!

JBC1701

promodeepcycle 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
its a 92 cuttie burn it
dont be a pet monkey ..use your dmm
derek123 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like you tried using positive locks set-up, instead of reverse polarity.

did you test your wire by hotwirng it first ?

Could just be the switch, if all the fuses are ok.

is everything else cool now, ie dash lights, starting etc.. ?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic