icon

door panel design - link inside

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
satfrk32 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2004 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  

alright heres a link to my cardomain site. (interior design pix on bottom).

http://www.cardomain.com/id/satfrk32

the black part with the orange handle will be fiberglass for smoothness. however, how do u think i should do the orange parts? the doors are made of hard plastic where i want the orange designs. i was thinking of sanding it down just enough to get ride of the fake vinyl texture, prime and sand real smooth then paint.  im guessing the paint will be un-even with the rest of the plastic door, so ill just curve the edges. any tips appreciated.

pixiesfan78 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  
yeah i had the same idea for my center console i started with an 80 grit on an orbital sander though i think it was a little to rough go with a 100 grit i sanded till there was no more factory texture. then i sanded with 150 then i wetsanded by hand with a 400 then 600c grit then a coat of krylon fusion alow that to dry at least 8 hours better off overnight though. dont rush. no matter what you do this will take a lot of time but no worse then glassing. once your initiale coat is dry youll be able to see the spots that need more sanding wetsand with a 600 untill your santisfied the surface is smooth always clean and dry your project in between coats. after applying your second coat it should be smoothing out now but spray paint will always be a little rough so you must sand in between each coat.about 3 to 4 coats should do it on your final coat you sould use a 1500 grit paper and wetsand untill smooth then buff with a compounding wheel clean and apply clear coat if your gonna use it. wtesand with 1500 dry'sand'clean'recoat'wetsand with 1500 buff and polish. as i said very time consuming but if you want it smooth with out glassing thats it. i think its simpler then glassing.    
love the flames.apair of aw1251t subs 75 watt rms flame amp eq/linedriver clarion h.u.the rest is temporary untill i can afford the rest of the system.
satfrk32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the advice. one more question tho...the plastic is very very thin, think all that sanding might create holes?

Wattage 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
Depends on how deep the original texture is, I did mine with no problems. Just sand it a little with the rougher stuff then move up to some 400.
-----
Wanna-be
satfrk32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
i was thinking (to prevent holes) just to sand it rough enough to get a good grip for krylon fusion? whatever that is and use that to sand & smooth instead of the plastic itself.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic