icon

another wigwag headlights design

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
veneficus 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

ive seen a few different DIY designs for wigwags, and being the cheapo I am, didnt want to buy parts, so I did some improv with what i had. rather different design from anything ive seen yet, kinda crazy, but its been working solid since day one. 

I used: 2pole thermal flasher, 4PDT relay, 2 half wave bridge recifiers(double diode,2leads in,1lead out, 6amp), SPST swtich. I wired all in 12 guauge wire, cause thats what i had, you can probably get away with 16 without a problem

to splice into the headlight circuts, the output side of the bridge recifier went to the headlight, one input is the factory power wire, the other imput is from the wigwag power.  this isolates the 2 headlights from each other, and isolates the wigwag circut and the factory headlight circut, avoiding backfeeding issues

now, for the wigwag circut. from switched hot lead, power goes to the 2 pole flasher, out of the 2pole flasher and to the imput side of the wigwag circut on the left headlight.  this will flash the left front headlight on and off when powered.  from the output side of the 2pole flasher i also ran a lead to the coil of the relay. so, when the headlight is powered, so is the relay. constant power from switched lead goes to the relay, such that when the relay is unpowered, it powers the right headlight.

i also use the spare poles of the relay to run a couple of alternating powered leads to the back for flashing lights back there too.

if you have questions, email, its pretty simple really

Chris
StreetFX
veneficus 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
ok, after re-reading this, it isnt as simple as i thought, and my explanation isnt so good, (shouldt post at 3am) and Ive recieved a few mails about it not being so easy to understand. so, to remedy this, I will post a wire diag as soon as i have one done.
Chris
StreetFX
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
for the wigwag circuit, did you build that yourself or did you have that already? since I couldnt make out by reading your initial post. If you had that already, is that not the "heart" of the system, being the one to control the relays? please correct me if I am wrong and a diagram surely would be helpful to all. thanks.
veneficus 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
no, designed and built the whole system out of misc components i had around, its nothing more than a single relay, a 2pole flasher, some diodes and a switch.
Chris
StreetFX
veneficus 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  

ok, here's a diag of the setup. pretty simple. fyi to those who dont know, a 2 pole flasher simply cuts power on and off.another wigwag headlights design -- posted image.

Chris
StreetFX

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic