icon

Relay buzzing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Kobaltic 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  

I just put in a new eclipse cd changer into my car. It needs power so I hooked it up to the iginition and ground that the head unit uses. (I needed to test it out fast so I didn't add in the additional wiring and relays.) Well it worked great. I played it for about an hour. The next day I turned on my system and my head unit wouldn't come on. I also noticed that my dome light didn't come on. I found out that they run on the same lines. I found a blown fuse and replaced it. Everything seemed ok until I shut my door. I heard a buzzing sound and located the relay that was buzzing. It was the dome light relay. I thought the relay was bad. I went and got 2 more relays but they both buzz. Now I got 3 relays that buzz . The head unit works without the relay I have been using the radio for 2 days now but still can't figure out what is causing the buzzing noise. It only buzzes when the doors are closed. I can also turn the headlight knob to turn on the dome light and that too stops the buzzing. No clue on what the problem is. By the way the relays only have 3 prongs the 87 86 and the 30. Any help would be great. Thanks in advanced.

1999 plymouth neon

Eclipse head unit and cd changer

Factory relays.

James

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
There is not enough forward voltage to maintane the *pick up voltage* which sustains the closing of the contacts.
The relay coil will not *pick up* until the voltage rises to 85% of the rated working voltage of the relay.
Take a DMM and measure what is going on in your circuit, the rest will fall into place.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic