icon

upgrading subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rockin the truc 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
i took out the back seat and made custom box for 2 diamond 10's in small sealed boxes`and they sound good but not enough bump. With a memphis 1000 watt. I'm thinking about up grading to eclipse aluminum or titanium 12's.was thinking about the w7's but thry want too much. for best sound quality should i fire up or foward.also will  i need ta add another amp
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

What do you mean by not enough 'bump'?  2 10" on 1000 watts is a lot to work with.  I've heard good things about Diamond woofers.  What do you have the low pass crossover set at?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
rockin the truc 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

it's set at 80.  i mean the bass doesn't fill the cab the way it did when i put a friends box in there with 2 jl 6w2's.my sq is fine i like the  tight base just want a little more to fill the truck while keeping th sq

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm .. what were the differences between the boxes?  the direction facing?  same amps?  settings?  I'm just trying to get after why the JL's filled the trunk more.  I suspect the difference lies more in the box / other application issue than with the drivers themselves.  Could be wrong though, I haven't actually heard the Diamond woofers.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
rockin the truc 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
sorry forgot to say the jl's were 12''. that's why i want to upgrade to 12's.i want to keep the sq and fill the cab with clean tight bass
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Which model Diamonds do you have??? Are you sold on sealed boxes or open to other options. Curious as i have 2 Diamond 10" CM3 series in a Diamond designed transmission style ported box with just 600 watts on them and they put out way more then i ever dreamed of and sound very good.
rockin the truc 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  

i really like the tight sound of a sealed box.those r the ones i have and they sound great but just not enough to fill the cab. never heard of transmission style port  what is it?

djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
Well, the titanium subs would not work with your amp. You need atleast 1000 watts to each sub. The problem with those subs is the 2" foam surround. On each side 2" that adds up to 4 (yes i am good in math lol) so you technically have an 8" cone. Grant it that 8" pounts awesome and has great movement, butyou still have 8". Its a great sub, but to get that potential, you need that full 1000 watts. The aluminuims would be a good choice. Id say that you buy the same set up your friend had if you were that happy with it. Be a copy cat. If thats what sounded good to you, thats what you should buy.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
Go with the Eclipse aluminums with the amp that you have, choose the proper aluminum model (single 4 ohm or dual 4 ohm) based upon the stability of your amp. These subs will not dissappoint you and work real nice in a sealed box. I know a thing or two about them, use them myself.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
Diamonds are excellent SQ subs that hit pretty damn hard too-maybe you should look into a ported box if you're looking for more bass.  Yes, you will be sacrificing some SQ, but if it'd done right will still hit clear as a bell!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic