icon

Infinity vs. Polk Audio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kevinbo5 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
I see Infinity (Kappa/Perfect)referred to a lot as a good SQ speaker/sub. What do you guys think about Polk?
I went to buy a center channel for my home stereo and I had my mind set on the Infinity. While I was listening, the sales guy said I should check out the Polk as well. To me the Polk seemed a lot "warmer" and more full. I'm now seriously considering the Polk.
As far as car audio, do you guys see these two companies in the same league as each other? I know their prices match up closely on some products.
Just wondering...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
IMO they are brands in the same league, and the differences between them are according to your ears.
Support the12volt.com
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

I would agree with DYohn but.... i think polk has some slightly better speakers and infinity has some slightly better subs, but thats just my opinion.... Its all about what you like and what sounds good to youre ears .. go to a showroom...!      Infinity vs. Polk Audio - Last Post -- posted image.

oh ya i had some infinity kappa perfect subs... it was a good little sub , pretty good sq

wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
I have heard both infinity and polk speakers in cars....  My PERSONAL opinion, if you're going to do a full-over install (subs and speakers, and all that jazz),   go with infinity. kappas.   Kappas do very well in the mid-high ranges of music, but I've found that you won't get the as good performance from them if you also make them hit the bass notes (besides, that's a woofer's job).
If you're just going to put in speakers without a subwoofer, POLK seems to be a very good all-arounder, getting a very wide range of the sound spectrum.
Also, I"ve found infinity to be a bit more precise, and crisp in sound, which is both a blessing and a curse.  The high notes kappa's have more than one time given me a headache (repeated "TSK TSK TSK"  sounds from a drums' symbol).  They're also very sensitive, and will let you know if a radio station isn't COMPLETELY clear (they'll pick up every little hiss from the stations' signal).  
Polk does seem warmer to me, in that its better than factory speakers, but doens't come across to me as precise as infinity kappa models.   They sound very full, and are pleasing to the ear,   but if you want the full spectrum of sound, you may lean to the infinity models (since our tastes seem to be the same).     But again, go and try them out again,   listen hard and long, just so you hear their differences.
Other things to keep in mind are that Infinity kappas tend to need more RMS power, so bigger, usually more expensive amps are needed than the polks will.  Also infinity kappas ususally have 3 year warranties, as opposed to 1 year polk warranties.......and if you're gonna play your music hard,   u just may want that extra two years    Infinity vs. Polk Audio - Last Post -- posted image.
~wayland

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic