icon

98 Malibu, cigarette lighter blowing fuses

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sharksfin26 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1998 Malibu and want to know why my cigarette lighter plug in will not stop blowing fuses. I try and plug anything in and it keeps blowing a fuse. If anyone can help PLEASE reply!!
dar1 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
Interesting phenomenon my girlfriend is complaining of the same problem. She has a 2000 Malibu and right now it has an inoperable cigarette lighter because of the same reason. I havent really found the time to trouble shoot it but your guess is as good as mine. also it would be interesting to find out if any other Malibu owners are experiencing this problem. Them we would know if it's a manufacturer tip defect...in need of a recall....anybody else please respond...  
one love
hotrodelectric 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
I have a good friend with an 88 Camaro that had the same problem. What had happened was the cell charger was an el cheapie, and it was bending the positive tangs at the base of the socket against the socket shell, which is ground. With the fuse out, use a small, pointed probe- a small awl or a dentist pick- and gently bend those tangs until they clear the shell. Don't bend too far, since they need to be able to close contact around the 'glow' end of the lighter. Check for a short to ground with a ohmmeter before you insert the new fuse. Or, you could just insert the new fuse and hope for the best.
sharksfin26 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
I dont think mine has ever worked and i do think it is a manufactures defect but my local Chevy Dealer has told me that they cant do anything about it at all.
ck auto 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 1:47 AM / IP Logged  
hi check lighter plug for rust have seen where they rust and complete circuit and kill battery or blow fuses
good luck
kirk
Charles_R_H 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  

see if you have the factory rated fuse in the holder

removed the lighter assembly and see if anything is shorting when you plug something in

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic