icon

Best Car Alarm w/Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sleekstylz 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 6:18 AM / IP Logged  

Appreciate that but I am asking what alarms do you recommend?

Fyrhwk1 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2004 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  

definitly a vote for viper for brand, I have to deal with code alarm at work and they're a royal pain in the ass to program, they also seem to have some shock sensor issues going on that I can't figure out how to deal with. Viper is very straightforward, they use jumpers for polarity choice on things like parking lights and such, making life much easier, there's already enough relays involved with alarms, 1 less is always a good thing. they include the 451M doorlock module as well, which, to my knowledge, handles pretty much every doorlock type on the market.

I'd also say their 2 way responder technology has the best range through a whole bunch of crap like cement walls and such, between that, and the fact i've never had one come back with problems, I'd say they've been the best in my experience.

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2004 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
"definitly a vote for viper for brand, I have to deal with code alarm at work and they're a royal pain in the ass to program"
Not sure what models you are using, but code alarms are the easiest and most straight forward systems I have ever programmed.
"they also seem to have some shock sensor issues going on that I can't figure out how to deal with"
Yeah, it's called the most adjustable shock sensor available on the market. Not to mention adjustment is only through programming so you don't have to tear the car apart just to tweak the shock a bit.
"Viper is very straightforward, they use jumpers for polarity choice on things like parking lights and such"
Code Alarm uses fuse jumpers for park lights, dome sup, trunk output, and door locks.
"there's already enough relays involved with alarms"
Doesn't DEI use that external relay pack anymore plus a relay for starter kill? 90% of the time for a code install you will not have to wire in ANY additional relays. Ign 1, Ign 2, Acc 1, Acc 2, starter kill, all built in.
"1 less is always a good thing. they include the 451M doorlock module as well"
More relays for door locks? Code has + / - / 5 wire door locks ALL built in to the module. Also has + / - / 5 wire trunk release built in, and starter kill built in.
With everything built in getting a stealth install is easily accomplished. It sounds like you may be using the rebadged audiovox code alarm units. I'm referring to "true" code alarm stuff. Code basically have 2 modules for every line right now 1 is true code, and 1 is rebadged audiovox. The rebadged stuff would probably need a relay or more wired in depending on the install, which is why it's priced much cheaper than the true code stuff.
I have the Code Alarm CA-640 in my car which is a two-way system with keyless entry/alarm/remote start. I would highly recommend it or any other of the code alarm lineup. Obviously most of us installers will probably recommend what we install because it's what were used to and comfortable with. Every now and then when I do some oddball unit like a DEI or something they just don't seem to make sense. I'm sure other think the same thing when someone walks in with a code alarm, etc. Good luck,
Mike
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 19, 2004 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
you cant go wrong with ANY of the Clifford combo units
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
ka3vvv 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2004 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  

NEW 4300 AviStart Security/Remote Start System

The state-of-the art AviStart 4300 combines the bedrock reliability of AviStart remote start technology with the peace of mind that comes with a high quality Avital security system in one integrated unit. Your AviGloT remote controls can operate your vehicle's courtesy lights, trunk release and door locks. AviStart Series products that include our RangeMasterT technology allow you to operate your system from an incredible distance.

ka3vvv 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2004 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  

I have one for sale

kel789 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2004 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
hey NowYaKnow, where did you buy the Code Alarm CA-640 and how much did it cost you?
Fyrhwk1 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2004 at 3:23 AM / IP Logged  

[QUOTE=NowYaKnow]

Not sure what models you are using, but code alarms are the easiest and most straight forward systems I have ever programmed.

Having to program the unit to accept the "all powerful time saving wireless prgrammer" doesn't seem to be very time saving in my opinion, with a few presses of the valet switch on a viper i'm in whatever category I want to be in, without the need to ready the brain to accept the input from the wireless programmer. Which resets itself every time you turn it off, so you have to go through the entire menu and ensure everything is how you want it, whether you're setting it the first time or just changing active locking to passive. I just don't like how code told the company that the wireless programmer would save us all so much time when in reality it never seems to work properly.

"Yeah, it's called the most adjustable shock sensor available on the market. Not to mention adjustment is only through programming so you don't have to tear the car apart just to tweak the shock a bit. "

It doesn't get any more simple then turning a screw on the shock sensor, instead of having to sit there going through all 400 settings just to try and tune the sensor I can be done with a #1 phillips and have it tuned by the time you set the warn away setting on the code, let alone the full alarm. Who puts an adjustable setting on both? I suppose it's nice, but i've never even thought of it as necessary.

Code Alarm uses fuse jumpers for park lights, dome sup, trunk output, and door locks

Never said they didn't, they do however, on some of their models, use another seperate wire to choose the polarity, simpler then a relay but still 1 more wire, but i'm not particularly complaining about that. The one I installed however, didn't have any jumpers for doorlocks, 1 wire was + lock/-unlock and the other vice versa.

"Doesn't DEI use that external relay pack anymore plus a relay for starter kill? 90% of the time for a code install you will not have to wire in ANY additional relays. Ign 1, Ign 2, Acc 1, Acc 2, starter kill, all built in. "

if you're hiding the alarm brain somewhere deep inside the dash you'll have to use a remote relay for starter kill regardless, it's not a good idea extending your starter wires 10' just to reach the brain, so i don't consider that a mark against viper. The external relay pack isn't such a bad thing considering the size of it, even WITH all the outboard relays the 791 brain is nowhere near the size of codes almighty brick. Though I suppose it's dual security, if the theif manages to yank it out of the car you can always beat him to death with it. You still have to wire a seperate relay for ign 3, just like viper,

"More relays for door locks? Code has + / - / 5 wire door locks ALL built in to the module. Also has + / - / 5 wire trunk release built in, and starter kill built in.
With everything built in getting a stealth install is easily accomplished. It sounds like you may be using the rebadged audiovox code alarm units. I'm referring to "true" code alarm stuff. Code basically have 2 modules for every line right now 1 is true code, and 1 is rebadged audiovox. The rebadged stuff would probably need a relay or more wired in depending on the install, which is why it's priced much cheaper than the true code stuff."

Possibly, the unit I recently installed definitly needed a seperate relay for trunk pop, I uninstalled a perfectly working 790 due to a moron customer who complained enough and got his way, then placed a CA 645 in, then after problems with the alarm simply not working I put a prestige alarm/remote start in it, now thats having issues. I've installed my fair share of the prestige alarms without any problems so I'm hoping it's not my install. The wiring colors from the code to the audiovox (who to my knowledge owns code now) were exactly alike, perhaps thats the rebadged units you're talking about.

"I have the Code Alarm CA-640 in my car which is a two-way system with keyless entry/alarm/remote start. I would highly recommend it or any other of the code alarm lineup. Obviously most of us installers will probably recommend what we install because it's what were used to and comfortable with. Every now and then when I do some oddball unit like a DEI or something they just don't seem to make sense. I'm sure other think the same thing when someone walks in with a code alarm, etc. Good luck,
Mike"

I can get over the programming issues, it's just a matter of memorizing it, I still think it's asinine compared to what I know, but like you said, DEI appears the same to you. My issue is the range and the brain simply locking up. The original brain would trigger every ~30 minutes on the dot and say it was the shock sensor going off, while it was sitting in front of our bay without so much as a bird landing on it. Then it just locked up, didn't respond to the remote, nothing worked, as to why I have absolutly no clue.

dei user 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  

personal opinion clifford avanyguard 5

dei user
AsphaltCowboy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 2:39 AM / IP Logged  
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic