icon

Which car alarm should I get?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mdb_foxmx 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, everyone. I just got a 2003 Honda Civic EX Coupe with the 5spd transmission for graduation. I love the car, but I know it needs a security system, because I've already upgraded the sound system. I don't really know very much about car security, but I'm good with mobile electronics installation. I've got about $200 to spend, and I need to pick a good quality system to protect my stuff. The car has a factory engine immobilizer system, and factory keyless entry. But, since it's a manual transmission vehicle, I don't think I can have remote start, so, I have to keep that in mind. I was looking and Crutchfield's Crime Guard 745i4, which is the best system they offer, but it has no LCD remote, or really any of the cool features of other models, but does have motion detection and glass-break sensing... However, they do supply you with vehicle-specific installation instructions, so...anyway, if anyone could recommend a system that would offer a great amount of protection at this price, please advise. Any recommendation or assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
                                       Matt
mdb_foxmx 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
Alright...I may be a newbie to this, but I'm not stupid...After looking more closely at the 745i4 from Crutchfield, I found that it has no anti-code grabbing feature...So, for $200, I get a lot of features, but a thief with a scanner can just come by and take off with relative ease. Please, could someone recommend a system that will protect my civic? Please?
jfk51502003 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
python 660xp
Cptbrainiac 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

I would recommend the Audiovox APS-996a.  It can be had for $155-$175 and has all the feature you're looking for plus some.

Also, Audiovox provides free technical support and a free access to their site where you can download wiring info for your specific car.

I would be remiss if I didn't add; however, that I don't particularly care for their installation manual.  Sufficient, but just barely.

Also, you can install a remote start in a manual car (safely) with a special module (I don't know anything about it, but I've read some on it; do a couple of searches when you get a chance.

I hope this helps.

Bill
mdb_foxmx 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
thank you jkf. However, I can't seem to find that system online anywhere, so I don't have any way of reviewing its features. Is there a link you can give me?
Thank you, also, Cptbrainiac. I have looked at this system, and it looks good. If anyone else can make a recommendation, please do so. Thanks.
cosmoworks 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
Try a Clifford Concept 100, Arrow 3, or Arrow 5 for your price range. All include anti-codegrabbing and work with Intellistart 4 which includes many saftey features that should allow you to remote start without any "accidents" =).
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  

You can find the Prestige here:

http://http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=preaps996&store=&catid=297

Plus there are a couple of other alarms on this site too.

padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
Go to Ebay and search for the prestige aps-996, autopage-850lcd, viper 791xv, fm 2009 version 2.0, phoenix digital 2-way alarm, ultrastart 4255tl, scytek galaxy 5000rs plus 2-way...
Any of those will be fine.
dei user 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  

save a little more and get an alarm called clifford 850 awsome sensors and major technology  also has something called black jax down where i live in miami i sell them installed for 325 i dont what price range is where u stay  if want details go www.clifford.com

look for g5 models

dei user
zoink 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  

mdb_foxmx wrote:
Alright...I may be a newbie to this, but I'm not stupid...After looking more closely at the 745i4 from Crutchfield, I found that it has no anti-code grabbing feature...So, for $200, I get a lot of features, but a thief with a scanner can just come by and take off with relative ease. Please, could someone recommend a system that will protect my civic? Please?

745i4 has it -  the manufacturer calls it Unauthorized Transmitter Alert (UTA). Whenever a transmitter is added to or deleted from your system, an audible alert will sound for the next 48 hours each time you start your car. PLUS, the LED light will blink once for each transmitter programmed to work your system. In other words, if you have just two “legitimate” transmitters and the LED blinks three times, someone’s added a remote. You can then have an option to delete that unwanted xmitter by re-programming your remotes which only takes 10 secs at least.

Zoink ! Which car alarm should I get? -- posted image.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic