icon

Mounting depth!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, I have a bit of a problem mounting my speakers. I bought a pair of Rockford 6.5 coaxials for the doors of my 89 Civic hatchback. Theonly problem is, theres a basket for mounting the speakers which is too shallow. Im wondering if I can take that out. Does anyone have any idea how to mount the speakers? They're just too deep. Also, I gotta watch out for the window, I still wanna be able to roll it down all the way. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to get into fiberglassin something, which I just dont have the time for right now. Help me out!

Hersh

oreo lover 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
If you mean that the there's a plastic basket that the OEM speakers sit in, just cut out the center of those baskets enough so the new 6.5's can fit through.  Keep the newly cut OEM baskets as spacers.  If the speakers still come in contact with the windows use washers btween the baskets and the underside of the speakers to bring the speakers out more or cut some MDF rings to act as additional spacers.  You don't need to fiberglass.
bayareastereo 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

There's always spacers...check online to find the cheapest ones.  They'll raise the speaker out of the mount to make it a more shallow mounting depth.  Make sense?

They're just rings like this:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/1_2_INCH_SPEAKER_SPACER_525_65_ADAPTER_p_1783.html

hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

I thought about the MDF rings. The only thing is, the grill in the door of the car isn't that far from the existing speakers. I dunno if you know what the civic doors look like, but it might be too far out if I put a spacer....hmmm..

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic