icon

enlighten me on fuse blocks!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigblackhoe 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
what im looking for is a detailed explanation of how to go about running a wire to a fuse in a fuse block. how do you get to the wires, what do you connect it with, where do you connect it etc.
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
After market or stock??? More info needed.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
bigblackhoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
both would be great
nickch 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  

is a fuse block something like a fused distribution block? I too am not too sure about that, maybe if you could asnwer my q too. I was just wondering what fuse ratings i should have in the fused dist block. how do i calculate what value i need based on what i have? if i have this dist. block wont i need to change the fuse at the battery too?

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
nickch wrote:
is a fuse block something like a fused distribution block?
The one I believe he is asking about is the OEM fuse block for the vehicle, and how best to integrate other wiring into the existing fused block.
Correct me if I am wrong . . .
nickch wrote:
I was just wondering what fuse ratings i should have in the fused dist block. how do i calculate what value i need based on what i have?
The fuse is based on the peak or maximum current load the circuit will see during extended periods of use. Normally you would add up the current consumed from each unit(s) from the manufacures stated requirements.
That is only a base line to start, and real world applications due vary with installation and personal usuage and SPL. Installing a smaller amperage fuse than the calculated *stated* current draw can and will provide you with a measure of safety against damage, within reason.
nickch wrote:
if i have this dist. block wont i need to change the fuse at the battery too?
Anytime power is tapped from the primary battery it must be fused within 18" from the battery post. The closer the better within reason.
The primary role of the fuse being as close to the supply voltage / current is to protect as much wiring as possible against an electrical short, which can cause a fire.
The fuse on that main branch would be rated for the maximum current draw you have calculated as being required to safely protect the down stream equipment, and wiring.
The fused distribution block is the secondary branches in your circuit which are being supplied from the primary power supply, fused to what ever requirments you need to protect the said equipment.
Remember the basics . . . The size / guage of the cable is NOT the only thing that affects the amount of current a cable can carry. It is the insulation that is being used, and how thick it is, and at what relative temperature it will be working in.
ATO / Fuses, on the other hand can be purchased at any retail store.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
bigblackhoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
yeah teken im talking about integrating wiring into the oem fuse block...anybody help me?
jfk51502003 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2004 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
if you use the fuse box...which i never do...really no need...neways at least take your dmm/test light and use the cold side prong...otherwise if fuse blows it will continue to send current through...
bigblackhoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2004 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
so you just always grab your power directly from a wire?
jfk51502003 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

...or battery...just always fuse the wire within 18 inches of battery or fuse the tapped wire...either way always fuse....!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic