icon

how to calculate interior Volume

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mjbarahona 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, i'm doing a fiberglass box for an 1985 4runner on its rear side, but i dont know how to accurately calculate the interior volume since the box's shape is not even on the sides. if i have two JL audio w3v2 and they requier .60-.90 Cubic feet of air each, does it mean that i need a total 1.20 cufeet - 1.80 cufeet for both subs? Any assistance will be appreciated.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of material are you using for the fiberglass?
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

The combined volume of the box should fall between 1.2 - 1.8 cu.ft. in total. I would edge towards the larger side for better performance. If you are using a mono amp, the subs can be in a common chamber. If you are running the subs in stereo it is best to put the subs in separate enclosures. If you are going to build a mono chamber box, at least include some kind of center brace into it as well to keep the box from flexing.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
I would say divide the two halves if possible; i helped my friend install 2 JL w0's in a box that was not divided and then we put a divider in the middle and it sounded tons better.
As far as measuring goes, you could over estimate it and aim for .9 each side and then you should fall around .75-.8 which will work fine. Its pretty tricky to measure odd shaped areas. You could also measure small pieces one at a time and add that together. Hope that helps.
jaymes 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
you can get any packign material like foam pieces or peanuts and fill the enclosure with that and measure how much space they take up in a shoe box. U could even use sand. Make it bigger and if its to big you can screw some wood down inside to make up for the space

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic