icon

Know anything about this Enclosure?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
onsatmex5 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

DESIGNED & OPTIMIZED FOR KICKER® L7 WOOFERS  Anyone Ever get a chance to hear this Enclosure. Info Here -----> http://www.thecjnetwork.com/view_item.asp?Productid=SBZHV102L7 I need a new enclosure, looking for opinions on this one.

Know anything about this Enclosure? -- posted image.

icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
I would say build your own, if only since you can build your own for 30-40 bucks tops and that thing costs like 115 or something with shipping.
Just my 2 cents.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
I second that.  Doesn't look like any internal bracing on that thing.  Bracing will be important depending on the power / volume you plan on driving those with.  You can buy a giant sheet of MDF for under $20 from Lowes. 
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
For those HUGE woofers I think 1" MDF might be in order rather than 3/4. You might need some metal 'L' pieces of something of that nature in the inside to provide added strength, since if the enclosure is not built well I would be those woofers could tear it apart. But yeah, there does not appear to be anything special about that box, other than possibly saving you time. I am not sure what to think about the metal around the outside, I don't think that would provide as good a connection with the woofer as just wood would, but perhaps I am wrong.
If you need any help on construction, then most people here can help with that, but I would say the only reason to buy that box instead of build one is if you or a friend do not have a) a jig saw b) a circular saw of any kind and c) a power drill
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
I've seen/heard L7s in the exact same box at a local retailer.  The slotted port design really maximises SPL output.  If I were to buy this box i would definately add internal bracing.  IMO, sometimes it's better to just buck up and buy a pre-fab box for $100 rather than buying the wood, glue, screws, carpet, spray adhesive, wire terminals, and caulk.  Then you spend half a day cutting wood and putting it together then carpeting it.  Plus, unless you have some experience, it's more difficult to duplicate the slot port design and actually have it sound good.
tyger25 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
I think it's fun to build your own box, but if you have the money, and no time, I'd suggest just buying the box.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic