Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone ever try silk?
Stormshadow
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
I use a cloth from the fabric store called "pique knit" (pronounced peekay). Otherwise ask one of the ladies at the store for a polyester based cloth that is thin and stretchy. That's how I found the pique. A little tip, usually the older the lady, the more she knows about fabric.
Monkeybone 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
Hey folks, Spandex is making a comeback. Perfect for use in this kind of application, stretches to fit any kind of form, and makes a smooth, bondo-free(!) shell after a couple of coats of resin. Problems: It's not as rigid as Fiberglass (has to be stiffened on back side with fiberglass cloth or you might do two or three layers), and you have to use the more expensive epoxy resin (fiberglass resin attacks the fibers in the Spandex). Still, it's a thousand times easier than using fleece, molds, etc, and the results are AWESOME! I got the idea from here and have since used it to create some wicked and smooth-looking parts of my own. Anything you can carve out of styrofoam or build a form for, you can make with this technique
Monkeybone 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Hey folks, Spandex! It's absolutely perfect for use in this kind of application, stretches to fit any kind of form, and makes a smooth, bondo-free(!) shell after a couple of coats of resin. Problems: It's not as rigid as Fiberglass (has to be stiffened on back side with fiberglass cloth or wood), and you have to use the more expensive epoxy resin (fiberglass resin attacks the fibers in the Spandex). Still, it's a thousand times easier than using fleece, molding, etc. I got the idea from here and here, and now I've made a few parts this way, I can tell you the results are AWESOME! Anything you can carve out of foam or build a frame for, you can make with this technique.
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
Just to piggyback on what Monkeybone said. Yes, the problem with Spandex is that is almost too stretchy. Most of the time you want a nice, tight surface to resin. The Spandex tends to sag because it is so stretchy. Then you have to reinforce or fill with body filler. But if you absolutely need a super stretchy material then that's probably the only way to go.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic