icon

box bracing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
I have never done a bracing job before so I might need some suggestions on how to do it. I am doing an open chamber ported box for 3 JL 12 w3's. It is just about 5.25 cubic ft. I was planning on putting 16 right triangle braces, 4 in tall 4 in base, to reinforce the front, rear, top, bottom, and sides of the box. I then plan to run a 3 rectangular braces from front to back of my box to distribute the vibration of the front panel where the speakers are mounted to the back. I plan to double up the face of my box as well. Any suggestions on how to tweak this would be appreciated.   
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
The triangles at the corners are not necessary for bracing against flex, but using them for overall enclosure integrity is ok.  The flex points would be the center areas of the large surfaces.  Running bracing front to back, top to bottom is good.  The braces can be as small as dowel rods, screwed in from the outside, to stop the MDF from flexing outward.  Be sure to consider the amount of air space the bracing uses.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic