icon

remote starter add on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kel789 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2004 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

I have a basic 7yr old Clifford alarm on my car. I would like to add a remote starter and a trunk-pop controller. First I would like to focus on remote starter. Can I purchase a universal remote starter and added onto my current car alarm or I must purchase a Clifford remote starter to add onto my car alarm? Can I purchase a LCD remote as a new master controller as well? Thanks.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 19, 2004 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
you can upgrade to a Responder remote ONLY if your unit is an ESP2 model. I doubt if it will be, being 7 years old. If you like Clifford and the old unit owes you nothing, why not just spring for a new hybrid unit that will do everything you want instead of scabbing modules onto an old one?
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
kel789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2004 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

You are right about getting a new alarm system. I am a newbie on this area and am currently reading about installing remote starter. Should I remove the entire alarm system and install a new deluxe system or should I just remove the brain of the alarm system and use the connected wires on the new car alarm? I have a hood lock on my car that requires a key to unlock the hood. Does it connect to my car alarm?  How do I find the brain of the alarm? What is a hybrid? Thanks.

Steve #1 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  
What model is the Clifford? If it's a 700IQ, 800IQ, or 900IQ it's a better alarm than anything you could buy today (except maybe a G5 Clifford). Adding a RS or a trunk pop to these is simple.
kel789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
Unfortunately I do not know the model of it. Can it be any good considering that it is 7yr old system? Is there a way to check it?
97gss 
Copper - Posts: 235
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
If you know where the alarm brain is mounted, it will be written on it.  I have a 700IQ myself that I've had for the past 6 years and haven't had problems with it.
kel789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info, I found the microprocessor. It’s Clifford Sabre II. I have searched the internet and found that Clifford Sabre II is a basic alarm.

There is some type of black jelly glue that glues the microprocessor against the interior side of the wall. Do you know what this might be?

kel789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info, I found the microprocessor. It’s Clifford Sabre II. I have searched the internet and found that Clifford Sabre II is a basic alarm.

There is some type of black jelly glue that glues the microprocessor against the interior side of the wall. Do you know what this might be?

dei user 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
best suggestion get new clifford avantguard 5 tons of features and security and remote start. personally one of my favorites and most often sold and installed love it
dei user
Steve #1 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 2:19 AM / IP Logged  
The Sabre II is a solid alarm and as good as any mid level alarm you could buy today. Unfortunately I believe it only has one auxiliary output so you could add a trunk release or a remote start. One other option would be to find a Clifford "garage door opener" and a 12 channel remote. Both can be found on eBay for decent prices, and would give you three additional outputs for a total of 4.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic