icon

amp makes humming noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lolzitsmtss 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2004 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
as soon as my amp gets power it gets a real annpying humming noise. its a kicker 1200.1 amp that only hums when there is power to it. when i shut it off the humming stops.
I guess that guy has subs.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2004 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  

You may want to check your ground. Because that amp has a delay on it so it doesn't pick up noises when it frist turns on. Either a bad ground, bad RCA's, or a bad amp.

~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
lolzitsmtss 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2004 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
could it really be a bad amp?
I guess that guy has subs.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2004 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
or it could be a super duper way over cranked gain...  Turn the gain down, and see if it goes away.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
f150on22s 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
I'm thinking its probably the ground.  The ground should be a 4 gauge ground wire, no longer than 2 feet if possible, and make sure its grounded in a good spot.  I think that should fix it.
veneficus 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
Ive got a 60's vintage 2ch Craig amp that does the same thing. the pitch of the hum is engine speed dependent.
Chris
StreetFX
losone 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
If it hums with the engine on & is coming from the amp itself not the speakers it could be a loose power transformer inside the amp.  I just sent my fosgate bd500 in for repair because of this same problem.  My amp would hum with the car on & it didn't change with rpms.  I think they said the windings of the transformer were loose.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
Humming from speakers is generally bad ground, too high gain, or too low speaker impedence.  If it changes with engine speed it could also be from grounded speaker wire, from bad ignition system (breaks in spark plug wires, coils, distributor cap, etc) or from induction into the speaker wires or line-level cables from being too close to power carrying cables.  It can also be a bad amp or a shorted speaker voice coil.  Lots to check.  Be methodical and change one thing at a time until you find it.  Good luck.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic