icon

Two Enclosures and One Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cdjr 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2004 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

I'm thinking of using two enclosures on the floor behind the front seats, each with an 8" SVC4 150W sub. I looked at the connection tutorial at JL Audio site and a parallel connection would give 2 Ohms. 

My question, didn't find anything from a search, is whether it is possible to connect the two seperate enclosures to one mono amp without having to have connections running between the two enclosures? In other words, can I somehow split the single positive and negative outputs from the mono amp in order to feed each sub? The amp will do 300W at 2 ohms.  Or would it be better to go with a two channel amp?

I'm trying for nice SQ with the bass upfront, not interested in booming bass therefore the 8's.

Thanks for any input!

aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  
From what I understand (please correct me if I am wrong), the lower ohm load you run the more distortion you will get, so running a mono amp at 2 ohms would produce more distortion than a 2 channel amp running at 4 ohms. At this low of a power and size, I don't think it would be noticeable though. As for splitting a single positive and negative output terminal, that's fine, but many mono amps have 2 pairs of outputs that are internally bridged, thus omitting the need to split the single output.
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

Simply run 2 sets of wires from the amp.  It will work fine.  Just as aggie said, some amps do have 2 sets of speaker outputs, and are bridged inside of the amp in parallel. If yours doesn't running 2 sets straight from the terminal is your easiest choice.   If this does not work, you can split the wires at one of the speaker terminals, it will work the same providing you wire it right.

Hope This Helps

Evan

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic