icon

2400 watt x 1 @ 1ohm amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
that would be a bad thing i wouldnt recommend it.    the best way to run subs is bridging an amp or a mono block.    or, if you are going to run 2 channels use a y splitter to take your left rca and splice it into 2 i have found this to provide a longer life on subs
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
wrong... there is no difference playing both channels of a stereo amp into one DVC woofer or both voice coils with an identical signal from a mono source (be it a mono amp or a stereo amp, bridged) In a worst case scenario, you MAY get a minute amount of cancellation (probably less than 1dB of loss) by playing the sub in the first scenario. I have been running stereo amplifiers to DVC woofers for YEARS, literally, and there has never been any "damage" or "bad things" happen to it.
As far as impedance goes, whether you are running 1, 2, 4, 8, or whatever load, it makes NO difference there either. If you have an amp that will make 100 watts into 4 ohms, and it makes 150 watts into 2 ohms (stereo, mono, bridged, whatever, it makes no difference in this situation) and you have a 3 ohm load, the amp will make approximately 125 watts into that three ohm load. It really is a simple concept to figure out, and there is no reason you could not run a three ohm load on a two ohm rated amp.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sandt38 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
thkidshorty wrote:

audiocableguy wrote:
If you were to series/parallel the subs wouldn't you net a 3 ohm mono load? This would be a much easier load and allow you to have more amp choices.  

first i thought you had to set up Ohm loads at even numbers 8ohms (home sterio) 4/2/1 ohm (car audio)   dont remember where i herd this but ive always followed it. i dont even know if it was reliable info. i dont claim to be a pro at this but ive dont several low end installs (best buy specialz) for friends

someone mentioned wirng one voice coil one one sub to the left channel and the other to the right channel. ummm what would happen if the were two diffrent notes played. i know this example wouldnt apply to subs but youll get the idea.....two diffrent singers one on the left channel and one on the right. would there be any adverse effects on the driver?

Keep the JLW7 line in mind. 1.5 and 3 ohm load options 2400 watt x 1 @ 1ohm amp? - Page 2 -- posted image.

to run paralell and figure load, simply divide the impedance spec by the # of coils in the chain. In this case, 3 DVC drivers have a total of 6 coils. Divide the 6 ohm load by the 6 coils and you have a 1 ohm load 2400 watt x 1 @ 1ohm amp? - Page 2 -- posted image..

flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

true, awful idea DVCs shouldn't be drivin in stereo.

Wiring them series/parallel for a 3 ohm load would work good.

Any 2 ohm stable amp will power that load. If you can find an amp with a variable power supply, that would work good too.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
OK... all I want to ask all of the people that THINK driving stereo signals into one DVC woofer is "What will happen by doing so?" Without a compelling answer, I will stand by my previous recommendation of not even worrying about whether the amp is stereo or mono.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sandt38 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
Likely nothing. Most subwoofer information is recorded in mono.
However, in some very few cases it is not, and you may notice lag or overhang because of it.
While there is no real concern of damage or anything like that, I also reccomend against it. However, I am anal about flat responce and accurate reproduction and that is my basis for my reccomendation, not damage concerns.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic