icon

techniques for painting dashboards/vinyl

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
uz2bauto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  

hopefully this can be for the final time...i have looked in many places but mostly what i come up with is where people are painting the hard plastic pieces instead of the whole dash/spongier places.

from what i have read you of course clean your material.

spray adhesion promoter

spray primer with flexing agent

spray base coat

spray clear

(wetsand when needed lol)

paint and body       
"semi-professional"
bLACKKNIGHTPRES 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
if you are painting the "spongier places." you need to first clean the surface.. paint thiner / wax remover.. then dishwashing soap.. then lightly wetsand.. Then do your adhesion promoter/primer/base/clear/paint..... Hope thats what you wanted
BlacK KnighT RacinG
itmdtr 
Copper - Posts: 131
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 5:30 AM / IP Logged  

I had a 82 S-10 pickup (ugly brown dash)

I cleaned it with 3M adhesive/wax remover.

Once that was done, I sprayed it black using black vinyl dye.

It took about 6 light coats, and I didnt use any adhesion promoter/primer.

Take a look at a local auto parts store for the dye.

(I would not recommend "Fusion" it didn't work as well as the dye.

itmdtr
uz2bauto 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

bLACKKNIGHTPRES wrote:
if you are painting the "spongier places." you need to first clean the surface.. paint thiner / wax remover.. then dishwashing soap.. then lightly wetsand.. Then do your adhesion promoter/primer/base/clear/paint..... Hope thats what you wanted

you wouldnt use a flexing agent with the primer?

i also heard that they have flex "additive" (sorry about not knowing the names) that go into the paint and clear coat as well.  but is it only needed in the primer? :confused:

paint and body       
"semi-professional"
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
if you are gonna dye it SEM make a product called "sand free" that works really well. if you want to paint it to match the exterior, you can get any exterior paint to match, but when they mix it, have them take out the binders in it and add the resin they use to make the interior paint. this will let you shoot it like it is a dye, but will be the same color as the outside of the car.
it is never a bad idea to add flex additives to the paint, primer and clear. it wont ever hurt.
uz2bauto 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  

audiomechanic wrote:
if you are gonna dye it SEM make a product called "sand free" that works really well. if you want to paint it to match the exterior, you can get any exterior paint to match, but when they mix it, have them take out the binders in it and add the resin they use to make the interior paint. this will let you shoot it like it is a dye, but will be the same color as the outside of the car.
it is never a bad idea to add flex additives to the paint, primer and clear. it wont ever hurt.

whats the differnce in shooting paint and dye...the only dye that i have seen is in a rattle can

paint and body       
"semi-professional"
bLACKKNIGHTPRES 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  

lol.. you mean aerosol can? lol ya, those dyes are the best to use for this home project.. If you use interior dyes/primers they will already have the flex agent in them.. Like the vinal/cloth dye has it

BlacK KnighT RacinG
uz2bauto 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
oh no i dont want to use rattle can lol but i was stating that the only dye spray i have seen was in a can
paint and body       
"semi-professional"
itmdtr 
Copper - Posts: 131
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
the vinyl "dye" I used was in a spray can. Just make sure the paint is well mixed and not too cold, and the dash is really clean.
itmdtr
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
all of the makers of paint like ppg, dupont, sherwin williams all make interior paint. it is kinda like a dye, but a lot of time it needs a reducer like paint does. it can be mixed in any color and sprayed out of a normal paint gun.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic