icon

Damping Factor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
braminator 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
How important is damping factor?  Please explain in detail but in laymans terms.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
There are many schools of thought on the subject... some say very important, some say unimportant. My opine is that it lies somewhere down the middle. Damping factor is defined as the load impedance divided by the amplifier output impedance, and (supposedly) the higher, the better.
Manufacturers specify the damping factor because many people believe that the higher, the better, because it offers better control over the woofer cone movement. You can study Damping Factor (hereafter DF) yourself, but pushing in gently on a woofer cone with the terminals open. Now take a jumper wire and short the terminals, and you will feel a MUCH tighter cone movement. This is an example of (close to) infinite DF. The wire is simply taking the place of the transistors in the amplifier. I used to be of this school of thought, until I read an article on the concept, and I learned that (mathematically) any DF less than around 5000 (or some number in that vicinity) will not have a significant impact on cone control. (I love our hobby! All that "mathematically" and "subjective" crap to wade through!) I will try to locate this article, and if you want to read it, PM me, and I will send it to you. Let me know.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
titanus_aegis 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  

I've read that low damping factors (100-50, especially below 50) result in poor cone control, and decreases SQ, and that this is especially important for subs. I've also read a lot that with anything above a regular damping factor (200ish), there isn't much  of a difference, if any at all. If the amp you're planning to buy has a damping factor of 200 or more I wouldn't worry about it. Most manufacturers don't even include the damping factor of their amps in their description.

Titanus

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic