icon

help a rookie

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Xplorer 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Sony CDX-R3000 HU and 2 12" Sony XS-L121P5 in a sealed box with about 2 ft. of space total. The specs say each sub can handle 350RMS and 1200 max, is this even close? I want loud deep base, not neccesarily SQ...any suggestions for an amp to run them?
Peace
nollaz 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
find a amp that pushes anywhere from 400-550 watts. that should give you what your looking for.
yup
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 2:45 AM / IP Logged  
(shakes head) most, almost all subs wattage rating for max peak is doubled the RMS rating. but for some odd reason, xplods is tripled. find an amp that does 400 watts. (2channel 200x2) bridge it and you'll be fine. is your box in two seperate sealed chambers? if so thats good. just make sure its not in a single sealed chamber. cause if one sub fails, then its not good on the other sub. but if you want spl, then replace those subs and go for something else. people will give diff opinions for subs. xplod isnt really ment for spl.
xTimx
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  
First rule, ignore the max power rating, it doesn't mean much. I have been using 2 sony 10's of that model you have for a while, and have been running them with 250 rms per sub. They say 300 watts rms, but this is what I decided on. You could probably get away with 300 watts rms, per sub. You could do this 2 ways. Find a stereo amp that has 300 watts per channel and just wire them straight to that. Or find a stereo amp that can handle 600 watts at 2 ohms bridged and wire the subs in parallel to that (this is what I am doing, only my amp is a mono amp so its already bridged, and its 500 watts at 2 ohms instead of 600).
Good luck, but don't be surprised if you end up wanting to replace the sony's down the road, I am doing so right now actually ;)
Peace.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic