Fiberglass in a Disco !

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
goldrodeo 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys!

I've been reading this forum for about a month and would like to thank everyone for helping me build enough courage to embark on this project. I've also searched the forum for ideas from other Disco owners, but not man post were found. I've installed car stereos before but never worked with fiberglass. My 2001 LR Discovery SE7 audio system was in need of an upgrade, so i decided to replace the factory radio with Pioneer's AVIC-N1 DVD/Navigation unit -- that install went well (had to make a custom dash kit because none are available)-- i also built a custom enclosure on the back of the center console to house  a Clarion 7" Monitor. I'm kept the factory amp and speakers (including a pair of 6-1/2 subs on the rear door). The sound-Q has improved, but still lacking bass. I decided to remove the passenger side bucket seat (SE7 model has two additional seats in the hatch area), and build a custom fiberglass enclosure. I have a Polk db12(4ohm) which will be powered by a Phoenix Gold XS2300 (300W bridged). I have already purchased all the stuff you guys recommended for the job and will begin work today, but as a novice i have a few questions:

1. I would like to finish the box in the same color (see picture) and texture as the interior plastic panels, how do i go about matching the paint and texture?

2.Will i be able to find this paint at a local Wallmart, HD, Lowe's, AutoZone etc or do i have to custom order this from a body shop?
3. How many layers of primer and paint are necessary to accomplish a durable finish?

I have been taking some pictures and will publish them upon completion.

Thanks in advance.

Fiberglass in a Disco ! -- posted image.

sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
well, matching texture is easy.  just check autozone or schucks or some place like that and they should have a texture spray.  as for color matching, you could get similar colored paint from a parts shop, but i doubt it would match like you want it to.  i think your best bet would be to get the color code from a dealer and have a paint shop mix you up a custom batch of paint.  and id put on a layer or two of primer and maybe 3 or so layers of paint.
goldrodeo 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

Sam1,

Thanks for the insight. I did go to autozone and the paint there was way -off ( 2 light) -- What kinda paint should i be looking for? (i.e gloss, flat, etc)

Thanks

dextrovic 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

What I did when I needed to match the color of my car's dash was to take one of my interior parts finished in the color I wanted matched to a local autobody paint supply shop. There they matched the color perfectly as well as the sheen. They provided a quart of color matched SEM Color Coat already reduced and ready to spray. A quart can easily do an entire dash easily and for most purposes is overkill, but it is the minimum quantity that can be custom color matched according to SEM. As a side note: I had to do this since my interior paint color had already been discontinued by my vehicle's manufacturer due to my vehicle's age. With a newer vehicle, it is possible to just buy a can of pre-mixed spray paint directly from one's car dealer's parts counter. Both the color and sheen should match the interior color code of the vehicle in question (many interior colors are flat or satin (semi-gloss) ... manufacturers generally avoid using true gloss on any non-trim interior surfaces due to possible sun glare while driving, as always there are exceptions though).

Do note that certain colors do not hide as well as other colors meaning that the one or two coats over a too dark/too light surface will not yeild a satisfactory color match.  However, applying too many coats to compensate will hide the surface detail as well as lead to possible runs. Application technique (spray pattern, air pressure, paint volume) will also affect the color match.

Many vehicles today are fitted with interior panels that were sprayed at the factory over an unprimed, bare, and obviously perfectly clean black plastic (vinyl, ABS, PMMA, PC, etc.) material to begin with. Spraying a typical light grey primer (like an exterior primer not intended for soft/flexible interior plastic parts) generally won't yeild the same results. An unsuitable primer may also hide the texture of the surface it will be applied to.

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
i thought i'd see a flush mounted mirrored disco ball in this thread..... i'm disappointed....Fiberglass in a Disco ! -- posted image.
goldrodeo 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  

Dex,

You've provided some good pointers and i will check the yellow pages for auto body shops in my area. I will also call the dealer and ask if this paint is available OTC.
System update:
I've installed the amplifier and ran signal, power, remote turn-on and speaker wires to the subwoofer location in the hatch -- this was no easy task.. I now realize why Land Rovers are extreme vehicles and able to drive underwater-- this car is so well put together they are no wire clutter in the engine compartment, no holes anywhere in the firewall.. luckily i found a rubber grommet in the passenger kick panel area which allowed me to pass an 8-gauge power wire into the c**kpit. The amp now sits comfortable under the passenger seat (i removed the factory 6-disc changer).

My next step is to apply bondo to the fiberglass box (which by the way has 5 layers of glass) sand and prep for paint. I'm hopping to publish some pictures by next week.

Josh, sorry you did not find a mirrored "disco" ball, perhaps someone still in touch with the 70's disco era-- however the disco referred to herein is a "Disco"very II by Land Rover-- it's not the fastest, or the prettiest, or the coolest, but one that's a true DISCO-- because i have "disco"vered that it can go places others dare go!  Across the James River and into my garage!    Fiberglass in a Disco ! -- posted image.

Thanks again for all your help.. this is a fun project and i can't  wait to see and hear the results of my hard work.

Fiberglass in a Disco ! -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic