icon

Help Me With My Amp Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
twinludes 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  

I just put my amp and my subs into my new car and they sound great and i still have the stock deck in cause im just grabbing the music signals from the rear speaker wires with one of those little box thingys (sorry cant remember the name of them).  i also am using the ignition wire (the one that only has 12volt power when the car is on) for my remote wire.  the problem is that the protection light on the amp is blinking and when i looked into the manual it says "RCA ground floated"  now i have no idea what that means and i would very much like some help on this issue and another thing is that even when the RCA wires are not plugged in the amp protection light still blinks red.  if anyone can help me with that i would very much like that.

another thing that seems to be wrong though and i have no idea why its doing this, is when i turn the deck off the subs have a constant noise like its getting constant music from the RCA's cause when i unplug the RCA's the subs stop pounding so if anyone knows how to fix that as well i would be oh so happy.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
do you remember what brand ( or quality ) of line level converter you used?  was there a separate ground wire on it besides the 4 speaker wires?
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
The line converter is what I would check first too. I've seen amps go bad due to a bad converter.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
twinludes 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
ok well i can understand the converter needing to be grounded with the problem of the subs going nuts when i turn the radio off but the problem with the amp is still going to be there because its blinking even when the RCA wires are not plugged in so thats what i want to go away more than anything :(
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
the reason your subs go nuts is that the amp is still on because your remote is on the ignition. if you use a switch and kill the amp you will not get that noise. Do your self a favor get a good after market head unit. it will solve your problems and sound better too. good luck.
Big Dave
jussam 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  

1 does your  (loc) have ajustments on the other side for rca output

2 did you try different (rca ) wires

3 how many ohms is the amp stable for

4 how many ohms are your subs and are they parallel

2-alpine amp mrv-f545 4ch amp
polk audio 6 1/2 frontdoor w/alpine center speaker
polk audio 6 1/2 rear w/8"polk sub
2-12" alpine X type sub
2-alpine mdr-1005 amps
twinludes 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
well the deck i have in the protege has a 6 disc changer built into it and i dont have an alarm on my car so this for me is the best way to keep that changer in there and make it look to the naked eye that i dont have a system in there.  but still i dont understand people how your saying it could be the converter when i dont have the RCA wires plugged into the amp and its showing theres a problem.  i just want that stupid red light to stop blinking and then i can know for sure that there is nothing wrong with it and as far as the problem with them going nuts if i shut off the radio i dont care to much about that problem just this one with the red blinking light on the amp which somehow means "RCA ground floated" so i guess if anyone really knows what that means that would help too
jussam 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
ok  if you think that its not the loc leave rca  unplung ,then remove speaker wires to see if light still blinks ,if so then check your ground wire make sure that tis on a clen ground.  also look at the connection on the amp that there not making any type of contact since the connection is close that a strand of wire is not touching if all good then your amp is no good
2-alpine amp mrv-f545 4ch amp
polk audio 6 1/2 frontdoor w/alpine center speaker
polk audio 6 1/2 rear w/8"polk sub
2-12" alpine X type sub
2-alpine mdr-1005 amps

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic